CyberQ Wifi Broken - Dropped

North Is Up

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've had my CyberQ Wifi for about 3 years now and use it often. My wife (yep, blame her) accidentally knocked it off a BGE nest today during an all-day cook. I was at work and suddenly noticed a large temperature drop. I had her reboot it and check the probes, but it was to no avail.

When I got home, I reset the unit to factory defaults. I re-applied the latest firmware (1.7) and it still doesn't work. Basically, it reads zero for any and all probes. I swapped them around and tried a new one, but it doesn't make a difference.

For those familiar with it, when I plug a probe in while it's running, I get the familiar 400 plus degrees as it quickly drops. But, now it drops to zero for every probe. The wifi part still works. The fan does not. Everything else seems to respond on the web interface. I can set temps, but with no reads, it's not usable.

I'll call BBQGuru up as soon as I can tomorrow, but any hints about digging inside? Thanks for any input. :sad:

Sounds like there maybe a crack in the PC Board which would prevent proper I/O of data....

Keep us posted....

Stuff these days is not made to be worked on. Once upon a time, a fella could crack open an appliance and have a decent shot at making it work- now? Not so much. You had it for 3 years- comfort yourself with how little it cost you every week to own and buy another?

The Mfg might help you out- doing a good turn for someone on the
Brethren site has never negatively impacted a store or manufacturer.

you could always open it up and look for a loose or cold solder joint or broken wire connected to the board or other component

as far a the pc board cracking I highly doubt that, they are pretty tough

I have an electronic dog fence and my dogs have worked loose the components inside the collars and I have been able to fix them.

Called BBQGuru up. Great customer support, as usual. Picking up a replacement unit for a discount, I think? Thanks to all.
Here's what the insides look like. Very simple stuff. Old coffee cup sitting around, watching the action.

:spy:
nakid%20guru_zpsjnu61uhw.jpg

It's most likely a broken trace or a solder joint has popped off the board. Get a magnifying glass and look carefully at all of the solder joints. I'd suspect one which is attached to a larger component or one of the probes that may have contacted the ground when it was dropped. I've fixe all kinds of stuff like this. Sometimes just going through the board and hitting all of the solder joints makes all the difference. If the board is cracked and multiple traces are damaged then it can be a real pain. However if only a trace is damaged, you can scrape the coating off each side of the crack and use some conductive liquid from a window defroster repair kit to bridge the gap.

I absolutely couldn't find a break. May have been a problem with a SMD. To get back on my feet, I'm just getting a new box. Thank you.

Back