First Brisket. [Where did I screw up (or did I)?

PhilB

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Have hundreds of racks of pork ribs (still my favourite, and I've gotten quite good at them, if I say so myself), dozens of chickens (I tend to spatchcock and just smoke it Georgia style), many beef short ribs and side ribs, and a pork butt, I decided it was time to play with some brisket. I have an occasion next month where I'll probably have to cook a few, so time to get practicing.

Since I had never done it, I picked up a full packer (over 6kg/13lbs), and cracked open some notes I took while taking a class from Andy (Smoke on Wheels) many years ago.

Full image album: https://imgur.com/a/jDZKgYw

Here's what I did:

• Separated the point and flat, removed most of the fat caps.
  • Rubbed (had some Plowboys Bovine Bold laying around).
  • Injected the flat with some beef stock (made from some concentrate I had laying around and water).
  • Back in the fridge for a few hours.
  • Got smoker to 225, added brisket around 10pm, went to bed with Thermoworks Smoke remote next to me and the DigiQ manning the temp.

The original plan was to smoke with no foil, just nice and low and slow. In general, my rule is to try to do that before experimenting with foil, liquids, mops, higher temperature, etc...

I woke up and checked the remote around 3am and 5am, noticed we were in the stall, as expected (seem to recall around 150 or 160 internal temp based on the probes from the Smoke. I wasn't getting up to probe it properly with the Thermapen).

Around 8am, saw some beautiful bark on there. Temperature had just started to climb again, so knew we had many hours left.

Around 10am or so, I think we were around 180 (I think), so I knew it'd still be a while. Was expecting people for lunch-ish, so decided to foil both the flat and point to accelerate things a little.

At noon or so, the point was absolutely butter. The one picture where I lift it up is hard to tell, but it was very juicy. Let that rest for an hour or so, chopped it up, fried it in a cast iron pan with some bacon fat to crisp it nicely, added to pan, sauced, and threw it back on the smoker for the sauce to set.

Finally, by 1pm or so, the flat felt like butter all around when probed. I think the temps were between 200F - 204F, depending on thick part vs thin part. I pulled it, wrapped it a little better in foil, and into the cooler while surrounded with blankets (and with the pan of burnt ends as well, of course.)

Got it out of there at 2pm, and started slicing. You can see a tiny bit of juice there in the sliced picture. But, quite frankly, in my opinion, it was dry as hell.

Picking up a slice and using my finger to make it dangle on either side, the slices broke apart. Obviously, I would expect the ends to be dry, but not the centre of the flat.

Where did I screw up here? I could have pulled it earlier, but parts of the flat were still tough. I would have taken partially tough and the rest juicy over dry all around, though. I know that most people who foil do so with liquid, but I wanted to try just heat and smoke for the first time. I also know that when taking competition classes, teams foil with liquid *and* baste with more liquid (stock or similar concoction) before serving. Would the same slices with no liquid added be dry?

Also, we don't have the same grades of meat here in Canada, and I never checked with the butcher gave me. It was definitely a high end butcher, though...Could it just be I got a crappy brisket?

That being said, the burnt ends were absolutely the best I have had anywhere at all. They were absolutely fantastic, and most got devoured. The flat was palatable once some sauce was added, but I always believe that good meat should stand on its own.

Obviously, I will cook some more before the meeting I have to go to, but I would love some input. If this is just the nature of the beast and it absolutely requires liquid, that is a simple remedy.

Thanks.

If the slices were falling apart, then it was over cooked. From your post it looks like it went in at 10pm and you took it out at 1pm, so 15 hours? Even at 225 that sounds long for a flat. Did you let it vent for a bit before sticking it into the cooler? Venting before the cooler will stop carry over cooking.

As Ron L says. mine went something like that,Looking back ,it was not venting that overcooked it, live and learn

If the slices were falling apart, then it was over cooked. From your post it looks like it went in at 10pm and you took it out at 1pm, so 15 hours? Even at 225 that sounds long for a flat. Did you let it vent for a bit before sticking it into the cooler? Venting before the cooler will stop carry over cooking.

I did not vent it. I just re-wrapped it and stuck it in the cooler. How long do you vent for?

I forgot, when I wrapped, I also raised the temp to 250. OK, so overcooked, then. I thought the whole thing was "pull it when it's probe tender". And even then I was obsessively checking the temp to make sure I didn't get over 205 or so...

So it could have been right when I pulled it, but then overcooked when left wrapped and into the cooler, correct?

Correct. I usually vent for at least 10 minutes, sometimes longer. Some guys will leave the brisket out until the temp drops close to 140 internal, but I’m to paranoid to try that :-D

Correct. I usually vent for at least 10 minutes, sometimes longer. Some guys will leave the brisket out until the temp drops close to 140 internal, but I’m to paranoid to try that :-D

Duly noted. I know what I'm doing next time, then!

Would the hour in the cooler wrapped like that potentially overcook it enough to be dry? I would assume so, if parts of it were at 200F or a little more already.

You cooked the flat too long before foiling.

Brisket flat is a tough, unforgiving piece of meat but it's also a simple piece of meat to cook.

1. Cook it till it's in the stall(usually 4-5 hours cooking at 250

2. Wrap it tight and add a cup of liquid to braise. Cook till tender. Usually around 203-207 for me

3. Leave wrapped and do an active hold at 150 for 4 hours or till ready to serve

Duly noted. I know what I'm doing next time, then!

Would the hour in the cooler wrapped like that potentially overcook it enough to be dry? I would assume so, if parts of it were at 200F or a little more already.

It could. Brisket is touchy. The difference between perfect and overcooked can be a matter of a few minutes.

I have gotten much more relaxed in my brisket and butt cooks over the years. In 10 years of competing I've done probably 150 briskets and 200 butts (we used to cook two briskets and three butts, bow I do one Wagyu brisket and three butts), and I used to have probes in every one of them. My smoker looked like a high tech lab :-D

Now I cook them on the grate until I get the bark color that I like, and then foil and finish cooking in the foil until I get the tenderness that I like. I couldn't even tell you what the internal temperature is at either point :becky: Once they are done I vent and then put them in my Cambro until it is time to build the box for turn in. If I were cooking at home I would do the same thing, except I would probably use a cooler since the Cambro is in our trailer.

Oh! One more thing! When I use a cooler I vent longer since the cooler is airtight. The cambro has a steam vent, so it releases a little of the heat.

You cooked the flat too long before foiling.

Brisket flat is a tough, unforgiving piece of meat but it's also a simple piece of meat to cook.

1. Cook it till it's in the stall(usually 4-5 hours cooking at 250

2. Wrap it tight and add a cup of liquid to braise. Cook till tender. Usually around 203-207 for me

3. Leave wrapped and do an active hold at 150 for 4 hours or till ready to serve

Well, like I said, my original plan was to not foil at all, since I always thought it was good practice to learn to cook any hunk of meat without first...but perhaps not!

But it was definitely not over 205F when I pull it. I presume by your "active hold at 150" that you also vent to avoid carryover?

Now I cook them on the grate until I get the bark color that I like, and then foil and finish cooking in the foil until I get the tenderness that I like. I couldn't even tell you what the internal temperature is at either point :becky: Once they are done I vent and then put them in my Cambro until it is time to build the box for turn in. If I were cooking at home I would do the same thing, except I would probably use a cooler since the Cambro is in our trailer.

Oh! One more thing! When I use a cooler I vent longer since the cooler is airtight. The cambro has a steam vent, so it releases a little of the heat.

Yeah, I'm doing the faux-Cambro with a cooler, blankets/towels, etc...so I would definitely need to bleed off some of that heat!

Have you ever cooked them without the foil? That should still not overcook it, unless I leave it on too long, correct? I presume that the foil (in addition to acting a little like braising) is simply to eliminate the "sweating" that causes the stall and to therefore just make the cook faster (thus making it also much easier to predict for competition turn in)? That's what all the research on "the stall" tells me, anyway...

Heck, I thought not foiling it would allow me more margin for catching it in time! But, of course, if I kept carryover-cooking it for an extra hour, that could certainly throw everything off and waste the previous 15 hours!

My first brisket, a Costco prime, I foiled at 160, cooked to about 203, then put in a cooler with a very minimal vent. Pulled it out 2-3 hours later and it was way overdone. Shredded when I tried to slice it. Point was good though.

Second brisket, a choice, not prime, I didn't foil at all. Pulled at 195-197 when it probed pretty easily, vented for 15 minutes, wrapped and put in a cooler for 5-6 hours. It was great.

Based on these two cooks, I'm going to err on the side of not overlooking and having a long hold after venting. Maybe I'll under cook the next one, but I sure don't want to overcook another.

Well, like I said, my original plan was to not foil at all, since I always thought it was good practice to learn to cook any hunk of meat without first...but perhaps not!

But it was definitely not over 205F when I pull it. I presume by your "active hold at 150" that you also vent to avoid carryover?

Try foiling earlier. You'll like it.
https://youtu.be/DK2ugDR-G2I

I don't vent before I hold.

You do not need to foil brisket or braise it in broth to have a juicy flat. When it probes tender, vent it on the counter. Our house is typically in the low 70s and I usually vent for 45 minutes sitting in a foil pan. Cover pan and place in the cooler for at least an hour or longer.

why did you separate the point n flat.? My flats have Never turned out as well Solo as when cooked as whole packers............

15 hours seems like a long cook, particularly given you 1- separated point and flat, and 2- used the Texas crutch. You are correct that that the purpose for the crutch originally was to push thru the stall and speed up the cook, although now folks also seem also to use it to further flavour the meat by adding liquids. But I would have thought separating and foiling would have speeded things earlier than 15 hrs. So I would tend to think it was overcooked, and then holding it without venting further overcooked it.

I totally agree with your approach of figuring out how to cook a brisket plain before introducing other variables. Thus, I humbly suggest you cook your next packer whole, naked, without injection and using only the rub of your choice. Cook it low and slow, at 225, which will draw out the cook and widen your margin of error in terms of pulling it when it’s done. Measure that by probing the flat, not the point, but it should be ready at about 203 in my experience.

Figure 1.25-1.5 hrs per pound and try to time it so you’ll be ready to eat when it’s done. Don’t wrap or hold, just let it sit loosely tented on your counter until it’s cool enough to slice and serve.

Once you get the cooking down then you can play around with whether you prefer to inject or no, wrap or no, foil or butcher paper, hold and for how long or no, etc. For me, I don’t separate flat from point, don’t inject, don’t wrap, and hold only if I need to keep it warm until eatin time.

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll figure it out and have fun in the process. . . .

Back