Coffee Can as Poor Man's Vortex??

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Could you use a coffee can with the bottom cut out for a Vortex substitute? Would you need to fire it up a few times with no food around to burn off the paint?

I'm all ears :)

The smaller diameter and the height might be a problem. I use this, which is 10 in. di., smaller than a vortex. A strip of non-galvanized steel would work. I just hook mine together with a S-hook.

picture.php

I use the institutional gallon sized cans I get when making baked beans for this on occasion...

I will use multiple cookers, and I have more cookers than I do chimney starters...

Bottoms of your gallon cans removed or punched with a can opener??

Cheap chrome plated bowls from discount stores are easily cut with a Dremel and cost about three bucks. Then put a real Votex from an AD on your Christmas list and HVR buffalo wing yourself into a chicken coma like Jim Morrison.

I buy stainless bowls from Goodwill for a dollar or two and cut the bottom out with a grinder. Works well.

As for the coffee can, I use a small one in my UDS basket. I place the can in the center of the basket and pour lump around it. Then I fill the can with water. It works good for moisture.

Turning a dog food bowl into a "poor man's vortex" I've heard of. (done it actually)

But using a can of water in the basket of a UDS is a new one on me. Depriving yourself of coal basket room to add moisture to a cooker that is known for having it in abundance?

OK... party on.

The small vortex dimensions are
5 1/2 inches tall
7 7/8 wide, small diameter
11 5/8 wide large diameter
A coffee can is around half the diameter. That's not enough coals for a very long cook. Definitely would have to burn off the paint.

Picked up a 5-quart stainless mixing bowl from Big Lots for a mere 7 bucks. Cut the top/bottom off and looks like a perfect fit for my seldom used Weber. Looking forward to trying it out.

Turning a dog food bowl into a "poor man's vortex" I've heard of. (done it actually)

But using a can of water in the basket of a UDS is a new one on me. Depriving yourself of coal basket room to add moisture to a cooker that is known for having it in abundance?

OK... party on.

No worries brother! There's been a lot of things I've read on here that were "a new one on me". Some turned out good,, some bad. To be honest, I can't say that I've measured humidity/moisture inside the cooker with or without the small can of water. Out of curiosity I tried it one day on a brisket cook and the results warranted continued usage. So far I've not had a basket capacity issue in the drum.

Party On Brother:thumb:

Back