First brisket, LIVE COOK! Pron heavy!

bjarolim

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here we go again, I'm sure that's what alot of you are thinking. Been waiting, seems like an eternity, to do a brisket since its been a long, long time since I've had quality home cooked brisket.

I'm keeping it simple this go round, salt, pepper, and a little cumin is all I'm rubbing with. Its a good thing intrimmmed it last night because trimming it up was a brand new experience for me. Still unsure if I did a justifiable job or not. I tried to leave more fat on it than not enough ya know! Got the cooker lit up and bring up to temp now. Almost at my target pit temp and I'm ready to rock and roll.

Here's a few pics to start out this early morning.

After trimming.

The trimmings, I bagged these up and gonna save them, seeing as I got an electric meat grinder on the way, the ought to be useful for something.

Its five o clock somewhere!!!

Rubbed up

FIRE!!!!!!

More pics to come, it's only 6:15am!!!!!

Looks good....ur a little more dedicated today than I am because I know it's not much cooler up there in Sooner land than down here in God's country....HOOK EM HORNS! LOL

Looks like you are off to a good start. Never get tired of brisket posts. Keep the pics coming.

Alright alright here u go.

Fresh in the cooker

2 hours in, not much color change yet

Had a slight hiccup, threw on an overly dry split and wasn't oak or pecan, cause it start puffing black smoke and threw off some big flames and ramp the temp to over 300° had to open FB door and cook chamber door a little to vent it and let the temp drop a little while I tried to burn those stupid splits quickly.

More pics later. Thanks for looking

4 hours down...still not a great bark...maybe cause I don't have a generous amount of rub on it so it's gonna take longer? Or maybe the spritz of apple cider vinegar every 2 hours when I check it is not letting thw bark form? Might be a no foil kinda cook if this is the color progress.

Also might have to ramp up heat at the end to finish the cook...not feeling good about serving time at 6 and still gonna have to rest it. Although it has been chugging at 275° pretty steadily.

Don't worry about the bark it'll come through give it a few more hours. I spritz mine with ACV Like Franklin recommends and it comes through after a while. And if you wrap in butcher paper it'll continue forming a bark. Looks good!

Don't worry about the bark it'll come through give it a few more hours. I spritz mine with ACV Like Franklin recommends and it comes through after a while. And if you wrap in butcher paper it'll continue forming a bark. Looks good!

I was gonna look for butcher paper while I was at the store earlier but it was 5:30am and I forgot about it completely. Ill just foil it cause that's what I got.

8thPhoto isn't doing must justice but the color is finally forming well...looks like where I didn't get all the silver skin off its looks wet and not forming the bark as well. But it is coming along nicely. 6 hours in and thick part of flat is at 160 and point is at 175.

Back