• LSG Mini

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Humphrey's DEB

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters

Burnt to a T

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Tell me which you would pick, and why. I know both are great, and both have great builders, and customer service.

All welded construction, 11 GA construction, commercial grade door gaskets, heavy metal water pan/heat deflector, just to name a few of the details.

Neither are close :frown:Shipping will be more for LSG then Humphrey's. I haven't nailed everything down yet so time will tell if that stays true or not.

All welded construction, 11 GA construction, commercial grade door gaskets, heavy metal water pan/heat deflector, just to name a few of the details.

what about indirect flow vs reverse flow? It was also pointed out to me that Humphrey's rivets their rack rails, and also the outside skin. Not sure if that is just design vs cost or? I know Chad told me the skin is just cosmetic, and the strength comes from the frame.

what about indirect flow vs reverse flow? It was also pointed out to me that Humphrey's rivets their rack rails, and also the outside skin. Not sure if that is just design vs cost or? I know Chad told me the skin is just cosmetic, and the strength comes from the frame.

My concerns when I was doing my due diligence were mostly 2 concerns, just my thoughts with no real experience with the Humphreys cabinet with reverse flow, first the possibility of moisture getting behind the skin in the insulation area because of the riveted skin and secondly the reverse flow channel from the firebox to the top of the cabinet being not accessible for cleaning in case of rust, contamination or mold. Maybe these issues are not major issues, but were of concern to me. I don't believe either cabinet has a real advantage in heat control or temperature balance, so that didn't sway my decision.

Do you think one will produce more smoke flavor vs the other indirect vs reverse?

I have never seen the LSG in person but it seems like more smoke would touch the meat in a reverse flow. That being said in my reverse flow the bottom of the meat gets minimal color. :confused: 2 or 3 years ago I was being cheap and didn't get either. I did get one that was completely welded vs riveted as that was a concern for me. My max budget was $1,500 and neither made a cooker in that price range that was big enough for me. Now I truly believe in buy once cry once.

Do you think one will produce more smoke flavor vs the other indirect vs reverse?

I don't believe one would produce more smoke flavor over the other. The amount of smoke flavor would be more impacted by the cook temp, amount ant kind of wood used in the fuel basket and wrapping time.

Why LSG? Durable all welded construction.

Regarding the DEB: Good points. I never thought about mold and rust getting into the reverse flow channels or about moisture getting under the riveted skin of the DEB and corroding the frame.

I found this on the Humphrey's FAQ page

WHAT KIND OF INSULATION IF USED IN THE SMOKERS?
Our insulation has benefits over several other smoker builders’. It is rated for 1200°F for use, moisture resistant, fungi resistant, higher K value for thermal conductivity than most others, non-combustible to NFPA standard 220, military certified, and it’s the best on the market!

LSG lists all 6 sides have insulation rated at 2000°F 2" military grade

The LSG is larger in every direction for less money (no dealer middleman).
Stainless racks at no extra charge. Larger firebox with cool touch handle. Removeable ash pan with cool touch handle. Ability to add water during the cook without opening the door.

Chris and Amber Goodlander. Nuff said!

Last edited:
Stainless racks at no extra charge. Larger firebox with cool touch handle. Removeable ash pan with cool touch handle. Ability to add water during the cook without opening the door.

Do the cool touch handles really stay cool? Not trying to be a SA or DA just a true question.

I was hoping for some Humphrey's guys opinions? I know there are a bunch of you guys out there!!!

I'm not sure of this middle man you speak of...I ordered my Battle Box directly from Chad Humphrey.

I have a Battle Box and absolutely love it. The DEB is just a taller BB.
What specific questions do you have? It cooks some mean BBQ and other than a cheap used electric smoker one of my friends gave me when he moved away, it's my first smoker.

Do the cool touch handles really stay cool? Not trying to be a SA or DA just a true question.

They are not actually "cool" but cooler. I just use a jersey glove to pull mine out when it is hot. Humphrey has no handles with which to pull your firebox out.

I'm not sure of this middle man you speak of...I ordered my Battle Box directly from Chad Humphrey.

Dealers are middle men. The price you pay buying direct is the same as the dealers. I called two Humphrey dealers and the factory when I was shopping. The price was the same. Dealers don't sell for fun so Humphrey has to sell for the same price as they do or the dealer would not handle the product.

My point was that the reason you can buy the better quality cooker from LSG for less money is that they have no dealers that need to mark up the product.

Dealers are middle men. The price you pay buying direct is the same as the dealers. I called two Humphrey dealers and the factory when I was shopping. The price was the same. Dealers don't sell for fun so Humphrey has to sell for the same price as they do or the dealer would not handle the product.

My point was that the reason you can buy the better quality cooker from LSG for less money is that they have no dealers that need to mark up the product.

Thanks for the economics lesson. Ever consider that he might give his (very small) network of dealers a volume discount?

I know nothing about LSG and haven't claimed to. Have you cooked on a Humphrey's? I respect your opinion that you believe the LSG is better quality but what do you base it on?

It's really about what the OP wants. Do you need a "cool touch" ash pan? Why are you removing your ash pan during a cook? I cook for 14+ hours at comps and don't touch the firebox or ash pan until it's clean up time. Do you need to fill your water pan without opening the door? What's the point? I fill my water pan 1 time per contest in my BB, then the entire pan slides out for easy cleaning and to quickly cool the smoker to load it back in the trailer.

Not trying to get into a pissing match, but it seems like instead of giving the OP what you like about your LSG, you're more interested in bashing Humphrey's.

Humphrey's guys do you know how many racks you can actually use? The LSG has 4 from the factory, and you can upgrade to 7. With the factory 4 you have 6.750" clearance. If you add the 3 others you still have 3.2" of clearance. I think Chad said the distance between racks is 1.500" in between from the top of 1 to the bottom of the next. If you flip every other rack he says you can get 2.250"

The DEB has 22 rack locations, and 11 slides. So how many shelves can you actually use say for ribs? I would guess 6 or 7 at most?

What would the min clearance be for cooking chicken or ribs?

Do you know what thickness steel is used on the inside skin, and outside skin of Humphrey's.

one more question I forgot to ask. Are the rack rails welded or rivited

Last edited:
Thanks for the economics lesson. Ever consider that he might give his (very small) network of dealers a volume discount?

I know nothing about LSG and haven't claimed to. Have you cooked on a Humphrey's? I respect your opinion that you believe the LSG is better quality but what do you base it on?

It's really about what the OP wants. Do you need a "cool touch" ash pan? Why are you removing your ash pan during a cook? I cook for 14+ hours at comps and don't touch the firebox or ash pan until it's clean up time. Do you need to fill your water pan without opening the door? What's the point? I fill my water pan 1 time per contest in my BB, then the entire pan slides out for easy cleaning and to quickly cool the smoker to load it back in the trailer.

Not trying to get into a pissing match, but it seems like instead of giving the OP what you like about your LSG, you're more interested in bashing Humphrey's.
Maybe a little reading comprehension lesson would help you. The OP asked for a comparison between two cookers. I have not "bashed" Humphrey but rather answered the OP's question as to why I think the LSG is the better cooker. Go back and read the previous posts.

If you think your Humphrey is a better cooker then answer his question and state why.

I was torn between the LSG and Humpheries myself, and ended up with the full size LSG. Cannot say which is better, as I have never cooked on a Humpheries, but after like 2 years of reading about them picked the LSG and could not be happier.

Back