• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

120 Gal Pit Build...lots o pics!

Badgoat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all,

So, I originally started off on asking questions in another thread, but now have decided to start my own depicting my build. There have been alot of questions and learning up to this point. My wife just bought me a Lincoln Electric Pro Mig 140, Bench Vise, Bench Grinder, a ton of tools/startup stuff, a propane tank, steel and beer. She said she enjoyed me in the garage tinkering :thumb:

So, bear in mind, I've never used an angle grinder, welder, cherry picker, etc before...so this has been a complete ground zero learning experience thus far. But the progress I've made so far I am pretty proud of myself.

My new baby loaded up in the truck...she's a dirty girl with a "Bad Bottom":heh:

The next few pics....I had to get "creative" with unloading this thing by myself!

I then let it sit for a week filled with dishsoap and water before cutting away.

After cutting the entire door with the exception of some small sections while I affixed the trim...Here is my "First Bead Evvar!" I know...pretty pathetic, lol.

Getting braver...

Hinges and handles "horseshoes" mocked up where I want them.

Tacked down...

Finished the cuts and opened her up.

Put on the rest of the trim

Pretty good fit :thumb:

Feeling comfortable with my welder now and learning how to adjust voltage and speed

Ran out of wire...decided to call it a weekend

So, it will probably be until next weekend that I can continue on...

This pit is going to be a reverse flow cooker. Next weekend I intend on starting on cleaning out the inside and giving it a good burn out.

Then I will start on the reverse flow plate, then the base/stand (patio/backyard cooker for now until I can afford to get a trailer to mount it on)...

Then when next payday gets here I will go buy the steel for the firebox and get that going...

Up to this point I have been using this for my calculations:

Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

If you have questions or suggestions please let me know. Any help is always appreciated!!

Until next time,

Dale

Great start - you are using the right calculator

Good for you! You have an awesome wife. Mine gets pissed when I spend too much time on my own projects and not the ones she wants me to do! That being said I just started my own 120 gallon project, but I am going upright and trying to make an oversized UDS. If it doesn't work I will be converting to a horizontal so I will be following your thread closely! Nothing like doing things for yourself :)

hey that looks great!!! your kicking a$$ can't wait to see some smoke rolling out of her

That's pretty darn good for a beginner.! You running gas/ mig. Or flux core.?

Looking good and your welding skills are coming along nicely. Will be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Well I know nothing about welding (per se) but I would say you are doing awesome! Can't wait to see the progress.

@SmittyJonz...I'm running flux core atm. Pinching pennies...but I may just cave and go get me a bottle of CO2 from Harbor Freight and use that...and when that goes empty refill with 75/25 mix. Watching youtube vids last night I think it would be a night and day difference switching to gas.

All in all I'm learning a lot right now and I really appreciate all the help/guidance you guys have given.

Dale

You are doing a really nice job That was awesome of your wife to get you all that stuff
Looking forward to following this

Looking good. Are you going to cut a bigger opening for the actual firebox when time comes?

@zanna5910

Yeah, so about that. I went by the calculator and it said 14.73" diameter. Now that measurement works great if we are talking about a flat circle...but as we all know the end of this thing is curved. So I measured out 16" diameter to account for the curvature and then just cut the half moon shape all the way down to the bottom of the tank.

I will then make sure the measurements are more accurate on the Firebox itself since that is where it will matter when mounted up. But I also wanted to make sure I mounted it low enough on the tank so as not to affect the reverse flow plate I will be installing.

Is my thinking right here? I think I'm on the right track anyways, lol.

Just an update...

Had some time this weekend to knock out a few things.

1) Burned out the tank and then wiped it down with some veggie oil to keep it from getting too rusty while I work on the rest of the project

Paint is starting to blister, I then used some Jasco paint stripper to aid in the process.

Final product

Stopped to eat some lunch that I made up for my beautiful bride for Mother's Day...

Prime Rib...

Got side tracked and decided to tear down my 22" and 18" WSM and my gasser and clean them up, lol...

Back to the build :clap2:

Made the stand, cut off the legs of the tank and sized everything up and lowered her into position. Turned out pretty good.

Next on the list...

1) Install expanded metal on stand to create a shelf.
2) Start fab/installation on Reverse flow plate
3) Fabricate/Install cooking racks
4) Cut hole and install smoke stack

Thanks all for stopping by!!

Dale

Now that's pretty cool. I always look forward to the threads where people build their own grills. I'm looking forward to seeing the final pictures.

Looking good. Are you going to cut a bigger opening for the actual firebox when time comes?

What effects would it have If your opening is too big?

OP, nice looking build. Can't to see the results. I'll be doing the same thing your doing soon. Haven't laid a bead in awhile though.

Back