• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ for sale

Thank you all for the info. Sounding more and more like I better just enjoy Bbq competitions LOL!

BBQ sold to the public goes under different rules than BBQ that is sold to a retailer that is resold. If you are selling to a retailer that is reselling it you get into USDA FSIS regulations and have to have a approved USDA facility and are subject to USDA sampling.

Even use of your cooker could drag you into liability chain.
Should not even be owned by you personally. Should be leased to owner from a corporation and agreement passing liability with hold harmless to restaurant owner. You need to be additional named insured and see his insurance certificate to be sure it is in force.

Yes, in the case that he was using the owner's space without getting his own permit and license. If he were to get his own permit for the use of the kitchen and the outdoor cooking variance, option 1 in my above post, he would have his own LLC and insurance.

I'm surprised HunkyDory hasn't chimed back in, I'd like to hear more from him...

I don't know... That guy is like a fart in a whirlwind....:roll:

Anyway to clarify. I have cold smoked a few burgers and steaks for my friend the restaurant owner in an attempt to convince him to add some Q to his menu. To the best of my knowledge the stuff I smoked has been scarfed up by him, his family and the staff at the restaurant and not sold to any customers. He has talked to the health inspector about it. If he does add it to them menu he is talking about converting a bread proofer into a smoker or buying a smoker of some kind. As is said earlier I have not been doing it as a business and certainly would not advise doing it without following any applicable laws.

Thank you all for the info. Sounding more and more like I better just enjoy Bbq competitions LOL!

You were talking about selling to a restaurant, if you want to make Q to sell, maybe consider a food truck or trailer. While there are still laws regarding food handling and the truck, they are much more lax than the regulations for a restaurant.

You were talking about selling to a restaurant, if you want to make Q to sell, maybe consider a food truck or trailer. While there are still laws regarding food handling and the truck, they are much more lax than the regulations for a restaurant.

This I have seen at numerous sporting events. Not sure what the rules are but I've watched people set up smokers and sell Q to the public during tailgate outings. Thanks for the information I appreciate it.

I don't know... That guy is like a fart in a whirlwind....:roll:

Anyway to clarify. I have cold smoked a few burgers and steaks for my friend the restaurant owner in an attempt to convince him to add some Q to his menu. To the best of my knowledge the stuff I smoked has been scarfed up by him, his family and the staff at the restaurant and not sold to any customers. He has talked to the health inspector about it. If he does add it to them menu he is talking about converting a bread proofer into a smoker or buying a smoker of some kind. As is said earlier I have not been doing it as a business and certainly would not advise doing it without following any applicable laws.

Good sound advice. I appreciate it.

Back