• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1920-?? Griswold #6 Dutch Oven clean up re-seasoning

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Bride's Grandmother used this DO. Fantastic shape, need a little touch up due to surface rust. We've got quite a bit of cast iron cookware but only two "family pieces". Bride never remembers eating from this. But we're going to put it to use then shuffle to our son pretty quickly. But not before I slick it up.

Guessing 1920-1939

Last edited:
It's a #6. There's a really nice one identical on EBay right now. Just did 2.5 hour in oven on self clean. Probably wasn't necessary but I want to start over with my build up. It will also expose any cracks. I'm going to do 2-3 seasonings and start cooking with it. I believe it's 2.5 quart.

Last edited:
Killer piece of cookware Adams!

Shes a beaut. Whatcha using for seasoning?

Olive oil twice, bacon grease inside 3rd maybe lard. If you're familiar with cast iron of this vintage compare to today's it is amazing how smooth the inside and cooking surface area are. Mirror.

Crud baked off @500 degrees 2:30
Allowed to cool
Hit with soft wire wheel
Scrubbed with vinegar water
Dried in oven for 30 minutes @250*
Coated with oil
Back in oven @ 350*
Will let cool and repeat the oil and 350* oven 2-3 times
Then cook something- like Green Chile Dutch Oven Enchiladas

Last edited:
I asked my 84 year old mother how she cared for cast iron back "in the day". She said rinsed it out started frying something. Wasn't unusual to leave grease in the pan. Just don't leave it in water. Ovens, fires, grills they were used and not treated with kid gloves. She said people ate a lot more fried foods back then and you did not waste grease. Eating out was a treat. You cooked at home.

Last edited:
Im quite familiar. Cast iron is my other obsession. I lose sleep over it and have spent countless hours studying it :) We have a bit of a different restoration procedure but to each their own. Beautiful piece you have there. A good first meal in a freshly restored dutch oven is popcorn. High heat and oil help with the seasoning process.

Im quite familiar. Cast iron is my other obsession. I lose sleep over it and have spent countless hours studying it :) We have a bit of a different restoration procedure but to each their own. Beautiful piece you have there. A good first meal in a freshly restored dutch oven is popcorn. High heat and oil help with the seasoning process.

This one probably could've (probably should) been wiped off and cooked with. We know the history. I just like bringing out the logo and inspect for cracks.
Just did the self clean cycle 2:30. I've never had one fracture though Ive read it can happen.

So you're expert opinion on the logo was I close? 1920-1939?

You are dead on on your aging. You run a risk of warping with high heat. Cracks usually come from force. The oven is a lot safer of a way to use heat to clean a pan, especially if you let it get hot gradually. Drastic temp changes cause the warping. True addicts like myself do not use heat because it can damage the pan but most of us have a setup to clean pans because we do it far more often. Seeing an older pan in a fire makes me shed a tear everytime.

I think Flax Seed Oil does the best. But Im out. And I end up drinking it and since now I drink Black Seed Oil as soon as I wake up--- well Black Seed Oil is made from black cumin seed. No doubt it would work, but would smell funny. My choices are crisco olive coconut lard and bacon fat.

I think Flax Seed Oil does the best. But Im out. And I end up drinking it and since now I drink Black Seed Oil as soon as I wake up--- well Black Seed Oil is made from black cumin seed. No doubt it would work, but would smell funny. My choices are crisco olive coconut lard and bacon fat.

I dont like the smell of flax so I choose not to use it. If its a piece I plan on cooking in I will use lard or crisco. Ive also been known to use grapeseed from times to time on users. On non users I almost always use grapeseed. High smoke point and the odor is decent. If you ever need a pan cleaned My equipment is at your disposal. Any brethrens disposal.

I dont like the smell of flax so I choose not to use it. If its a piece I plan on cooking in I will use lard or crisco. Ive also been known to use grapeseed from times to time on users. On non users I almost always use grapeseed. High smoke point and the odor is decent. If you ever need a pan cleaned My equipment is at your disposal. Any brethrens disposal.

I just hit this one with clean bacon grease. Man it smells good.

Beautiful piece of history there Adams. Great job on the tlc too. :cool::thumb:

Back