• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken skin

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I cooked a couple of birds sunday and while they looked really good, the skin was so tough you could hardly cut it with a knife.....i used one of my sauces as a glaze and I think that might be the problem, too much sugar...I guess...any suggestions?
bird3.jpg

It's the smoke not the sauce! It makes bird skin tough. May want to bump the heat in the end of a smoke session with birds.

Don't think it's your sauce JP. Chicken skin can be a tough nut to crack sometimes. Higher heat at the end of the cook seems to help for me.

I'll give that a try next time....thanks guys:biggrin:

You can also try drying out your skin by air chilling it in the fridge overnight. Helps pull the moisture out of the skin.

You can also try drying out your skin by leaving air chilling it the fridge overnight. Helps pull the moisture out of the skin.
Another good suggestion:biggrin: These things came right out of the packaging, got rubbed and on the cooker.

You can also try drying out your skin by leaving air chilling it the fridge overnight. Helps pull the moisture out of the skin.

Good advice. A light dusting of corn starch will do the same thing. Draws the moisture out.

I had no idea that these hens would be so tricky to cook:shock:

Chicken skin can be a tough nut to crack sometimes. Higher heat at the end of the cook seems to help for me.
Yup. Last chicken I did went to the plate straight off the WSM. Was like chewing an inner tube. Try the high heat.

I like the air dry in the fridge idea too. I will try that this weekend.

Hasn't anybody told you yet, chicken skin is evil. It will make you fat and cause your heart to explode!!!
When I smoke chicken I just get 10lbs of hinnies and when I pull them off I let them cool a smidge and then just pitch the skin (alright, I eat a few pieces) and pull the meat, bag, vacusuck, freeze.

Had a bag the other night, made chicken tostadas with melted mex-cheese, re-fried beans, spanish rice.
ModelMaker

If chicken is all I am cooking I cook between 250* & 300* (usually closer to the 300* mark for about 3 hours), I use more salt in my chicken rub also, it draws the moisture out. Cooking this way I still get a juicy bird & nice crisp skin.

I think it was Chris Lilly that said chicken can take a lot of salt & a lot of smoke...

Try the Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce on Chicken...Awesome! :cool:

That happened to me once, I sprayed down A LOT durring the cook, and thought that was the reason...
I'll try high heat at the end also....

Back