Is the chance of freezer burn reduced when meat is Vac Packed?

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Seems like it would be with no air inside. I'm talking maybe when stored 8 plus months.

Thanks!

Seems like it would be with no air inside. I'm talking maybe when stored 8 plus months.

Thanks!
If it's truly vacuum sealed (with no air) then a lot of stuff can keep for 6 months up to a year. If fact I've eaten some items that were in my freezer for 18 month and it was still good.

I've had vac-sealed stuff last longer than a year. Like others have said though, it must be truly vac-sealed with no air. My vac-sealer will sometimes leave a tiny leak in the seal which allows some air in. If that happens you'll get freezer burns much quicker. It's usually easy to spot after a day or two though. Vac-sealer are worth the money in my opinion.

I was hoping that's the case. I have a food saver that I've vac packed pulled pork in for up to 6 months with no problem. I'm coming across a large amount of beef with various cuts vac packed and it will take some time to use it all.

Thanks for the great input!

Thanks!

While I don't intentionally leave stuff in the freezer for two years, I have had many things get lost in some of our freezers, even after two years the items still are great like they were fresh.

It's true a good vac-sealer and a good freezer are required to get great results.

The papers that came with my vac sealer says up to 3 years. I've not tried it for that long but have had meat in for 18 months without a problem.

I have a food saver. Not sure of other brands but I think for the price ($100) it's one of the better ones.

I have no worries with beef and pork for 2 years and chicken and fish 12 months vac packed. I've been running vacs for 15 years now. You can really take advantage of good meat prices with one.

Shop the web for good deals on great quality bags to save even more.

I was hoping that's the case. I have a food saver that I've vac packed pulled pork in for up to 6 months with no problem. I'm coming across a large amount of beef with various cuts vac packed and it will take some time to use it all.

I just use zip lock bags, with as much air as possible expelled. I figure, as much as I enjoy planing the cooks, and enjoy the results, if I have much backlog piling up in the freezer, I need to rethink how I did it. Otherwise, why haven't I eaten it already?

I have a vac sealer but rarely use it anymore. Like mentioned, zip lock with air expelled, wrap in butcher paper. No more torn/punctured bags or vac bags from careless shuffling/slipping/falling of frozen foods. If/when I use the vac sealer I still wrap in butcher paper. No freezer burn ever since.

I am not sure how long some of my vacuum packed meats have been in the freezer, at least 1+ years and have never had anything come out freezer burnt.

Take care when sealing and items will last a long time. You can tell if the seal is not good and if so, re package it so it will last.

Food or moisture in the sealing area or the bag not pulled tight are the usual causes.

Sometimes you have to clean the inside of the bag in the sealing area to make sure you get a quality seal. If you see moisture pulling up into the sealer you are likly to have a poor seal

Sounds like you are getting meat that has been professionally sealed?
I just found some Elk steaks that had been "lost" in one of our freezers for about 2 and 1/2 years[vac sealed by packer] They were perfect, good as new.

While I did mention......

It's true a good vac-sealer and a good freezer are required to get great results.

A good quality vac-seal bag is also important. Good bags when sealed properly will hold the integrity of it's seal, and a good vac-sealer will make a better (usually wider) seal. While not necessary with my Weston sealer, I do make a double seal. Call it force of habit or insurance that the seal will remain intact, doesn't matter it has always worked for me even when I owned a foodsaver. Old habits are hard to break...

As everyone says, if done properly, food will last a very long time. Not sure how we missed it, but just pulled out a prime rib that was 27 months old (I don't recommend this!). Smoked it and it was awesome.
If you see moisture like Smoke Dawg mentioned, you can put the food in the freezer for an hour or so and seal then.
I just got a 40# box of chicken quarters and that is how I had to seal them due to all the moisture.

Back