Grilling Steaks/Burgers

zubby01

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a nice little Weber Spirit gas Grill. I also have an 18" Weber Kettle grill.

Can I grill steaks and or burgers on my kettle using charcoal?
Is there any taste benefit to doing it this way as opposed to the gas grill?
If I do it on the kettle, should I just open the air flow all the way and keep the lid off?
Also, if I add a piece of wood when I cook it on the kettle, should I
1. Set the wood on top of the charcoal?
2. Set the wood to the side of the charcoal?
3. Soak the wood first?
4. No wood at all?

Any suggestions/advice are welcome.

Sure you can. Charcoal is tastier than gas. Let the coals get good and white first. Open both intakes, don't soak the wood. I throw it right on top. Get your food on pretty quick or the wood may catch and flame.

Sure you can. Charcoal is tastier than gas. Let the coals get good and white first. Open both intakes, don't soak the wood. I throw it right on top. Get your food on pretty quick or the wood may catch and flame.

When you mention 'Open both intakes', could you elaborate?
My kettle looks like this. I start the charcoal w/ a chimney starter and then pour on top of unlit charcoal in the kettle. One intake is on the lid and the other is a lever at the bottom. Are you suggesting I keep the lid on when starting up?

th

My answers below in dark red...

I have a nice little Weber Spirit gas Grill. I also have an 18" Weber Kettle grill.

Can I grill steaks and or burgers on my kettle using charcoal? - Yes! that's what they are designed to do!
Is there any taste benefit to doing it this way as opposed to the gas grill? - Yep! Much better flavor from the charcoal and any wood that you add.
If I do it on the kettle, should I just open the air flow all the way and keep the lid off? - I keep the vents open and leave the lid on.
Also, if I add a piece of wood when I cook it on the kettle, should I
1. Set the wood on top of the charcoal?
2. Set the wood to the side of the charcoal?
3. Soak the wood first?
4. No wood at all?

I mix a couple of chunks in with the charcoal. No soaking!

Any suggestions/advice are welcome.

When I grill on my kettle I set up my fire in half of the grill, leaving the other half with no fire. That gives me a direct cooking zone and an indirect cooking zone. For burgers, steaks or chops, I will give them a couple of minutes a side on the direct side of the grill and then move them to the indirect zone to finish.

Another option is called the reverse sear where you cook them on the indirect side until they are close to done (say 115 degrees for a steak) and then sear on the direct side until the internal temp is what you like. This is a great way to cook, but it is a little harder to control.

My answers below in dark red...

When I grill on my kettle I set up my fire in half of the grill, leaving the other half with no fire. That gives me a direct cooking zone and an indirect cooking zone. For burgers, steaks or chops, I will give them a couple of minutes a side on the direct side of the grill and then move them to the indirect zone to finish.

Another option is called the reverse sear where you cook them on the indirect side until they are close to done (say 115 degrees for a steak) and then sear on the direct side until the internal temp is what you like. This is a great way to cook, but it is a little harder to control.

OK sounds good. I will give it a try.

I prefer charcoal because I feel it gives better taste I use my gas grill during the week as I get home late

Simple answer YES & YES! If I wanted my steak cooked with gas I have a range in the house that will cook it with the same flavor as the Gas Belcher 5000 none! Don't use charcoal for steaks burn you some wood and cook over that, Mesquite if you can get it big flavor and burns hot as the suns surface for a great seer.

Great advice you already have... I use my gasser during the week and my kettles on more liesurely days

Great answers. Just to add my .02,

Unless the steak or burger is very thick, I will do them direct high heat flipping once. My gasser will hit temps 500*F + and does a great job. They cook quickly so you can throw a foil woodchip pack directly on the flavorizer bars to get about ten minutes of good smoke and that's all it takes. If you want to do it over coal, run hot.

Off the gasser:

2i0eu0y.jpg

I would reverse sear the steaks (use search bar at the bottom of the forum for tutorial. For the burgers i would leave the bottom vent fully open. The lid i would close fully for flare-ups then open fully once flare up has been extinguished.

I use all lit coals in my kettle and cook my steaks with direct heat.
I let the kettle temp get about 450. Throw the steaks on for about 6 mins then flip them and leave them on for another 6 mins. Take them off and let them rest for about 5 mins. Which cooks them medium.

Bludawg interesting idea with the mesquite....I have cooked steaks over an open pit with oak. And they turned out great. But never tried in a kettle.

letdasmokeroll; i just saw a show and they were cooking steak's right on the charcoal. how's the food come out?

Simple answer YES & YES! If I wanted my steak cooked with gas I have a range in the house that will cook it with the same flavor as the Gas Belcher 5000 none! Don't use charcoal for steaks burn you some wood and cook over that, Mesquite if you can get it big flavor and burns hot as the suns surface for a great seer.

Turned out good.

How do I start the wood and keep it going?

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 25
You just start your charcoal like normal. Once it gets ready, just drop a chunk on top. It will flame for a minute or two and then start to smolder providing you the smoky flavor.

Back