To Dimple or not to Dimple?

jeffreywp1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm making 8 oz plus reverse sear hamburgers tomorrow. Normally when I grill or pan fry burgers I mash the center thinner so when it plumps up it's still flat. Do I need to do this for reverse sear?

I am not happy with my grilled burgers. They taste so much better cooked on a flat-top! I'm confused.

I am not happy with my grilled burgers. They taste so much better cooked on a flat-top! I'm confused.

It's hard to beat a burger off the flat top or cast iron skillet cooked up in its own rendered fat. What if for the low and slow smoking portion of my cook I keep the burgers in a skillet and then do a reverse sear in another hot skillet. It could be the best of both worlds!

Last edited:
I cook mine in a cast iron skillet with a small layer of bacon dripppins in the pan for that extra flavor. Used to use butter, but the burnt butter gives off a acrid taste to the burgers. Will grill on the charcoal grill if having company over, and add some brats, but for me, I prefer the skillet.

Dang, just thinking about this makes me hungry. Good thing I don't have any ground beef thawed out. I am a sucker for a good burger.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

i think ineed to clarify something...

i always dimple if im using fresh beef and hand forming the burgers. I've also tried pushing all the way thru and leaving a hole in the center. I read that promotes even cooking and then the meat swells the hole closes up anyway. Thats works ok...

but i found that freezing the patty first and cooking it from frozen stops it from bulging up.. Not sure how well that will work on 8 ounce burgers.. i usually do 1/3 lbs.

Dimple

It's hard to beat a burger off the flat top or cast iron skillet cooked up in its own rendered fat. What if for the low and slow smoking portion of my cook I keep the burgers in a skillet and then do a reverse sear in another hot skillet. It could be the best of both worlds!

We save all our trimmings from meats at our comps. Throw them in the crockpot on low until they render/melt down. Pour it through cheese cloth for filtering then into a container to be used later. We then use the lard to confit burgers, steak, porch chops, chicken, etc.... Have reverse seared using both bbq grill and cast iron. Best damn food one can eat. Just needs to be done in moderation or your cardiologist will fall off his stool.

I'm going to be the odd one out here. When I cook burgers, I usually find the fat is completely rendered at 160*-165*, which is what causes the burger to swell. If I wait until the burger reaches that temp to take it off, then it's still going to climb 5* or so and the end result is a burger that is overcooked. I actually want to take off the burgers before it reaches this temperature, i.e., just before it swells. If I take it off before it swells, then those divots remain in my burgers. Your mileage may vary depending on your cooking method (and also your preference), but this is what I typically find with mine.

Incidentally, E. coli is killed at 155* (with no rest time needed; we're told to bring ground meat to 160-165* to give us some leeway). I generally shoot for 150*-155* as I know from experience my burgers' IT keeps rising about 5*. Note that the rest time is important. If you rest your meat longer, you can reduce the temperature. For instance, cooking and holding your burger to only 145* for 2 minutes will kill 90% of the E. coli, and for 3 minutes will kill 99% of the E. coli. We want to kill more than 99%, but you get the idea.

I guess the short answer is "no, I don't dimple," but I'm certainly not against it.

If I think about it I do if not that's ok too but it is hard to dimple a Juicy Lucy and I have been diggin that gal as of late.

Back