Just large flats or packers from Sam's?

bbq1980

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was out with the wife at Sam's Club and was curious about their briskets, as I've never purchased one from there before but might do so soon. They were labelled as flats but were cryovac'd and resembled packers. They were $5.67/lb for choice. Some looked decent, but the heavy ones only topped out in the 8 lb range, like large flats and the bigger ones had plenty of fat on the back, so I passed as I was just doing some comparative shopping and my UDS drum is at the sandblaster. So are these just large flats (which is my guess) or does Sam's just label packers as flats?

In contrast, prime packers were up to $8.19/lb at my local butcher and the butts were up to $3.49/lb.

Attachments

• 20140419_125613.jpg
    20140419_125613.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 113
I was just at Sam's looking for packers... I asked and all they had were flats exactly like ^these. They were just flats. No packers to be had.

Our local SAMs only carries flats as in your photo but Walmart next door has whole packers.

Thanks for the confirmation. That's pretty much what I thought. Ironically, there's a Walmart adjacent to my Sam's as well but I didn't go in to investigate. Will have to do that next time.

The 2 Sam's I've been to in my area only have the flats like those too. My Wal-Mart, however, has packers. I can't figure it out myself...

It never hurts to ask the butchers. I am the fresh manager at a sams and we carry choice packers. Ask for point on beef brisket or choice brisket if they don't know what a packer is. A case of it is labeled that way.

If they don't have them, ask to speak to the meat lead or fresh manager. Might be able to order them on the truck.

Back