Tri-tip help please.

Concur with everyone else on the reverse sear. I would not recommend using the peach rub. Keep it simple. Rub with evoo and use salt and pepper or Montreal steak seasoning. Make sure you slice across the grain! It will be tough otherwise.

This was my last reverse sear tri tip:

Indirect for 25-30 minutes to about 110-115 then seared for 1.5 minutes per side. Rub was salt, pepper, onion powder, season salt and granulated garlic. Definately didn't over cook it.

Last edited:
I cook a lot of tri tips- They're my girlfriend's favorite! However, she's not a fan of pink meat, and likes everything well done.

My method is this: Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder only. Keep it simple.

Smoke it low and slow until I get about 135-140. Wrap it straight- don't add liquids, because there's no need. Tri Tip has plenty of fat that will render out and make it's own juice (Refer to my picture). Take it to 175, then pull and rest it.

I'm going to try a reverse sear on my next one, but the above recipe is the one I've been using with great success.

Attachments

• Tri Tip.jpg
    Tri Tip.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 57
They can take a lot of different ways of cooking, finish temps, etc.

This one got going a little too hot & fast, pulled, wrapped & this is the juice when opened in 1/2 hr.
A medium injection, but nothing added at wrap.........

MothersDayTriTip076.jpg

Well done, but with that amount of juice to pour back over, it will stay juiced up & tender for quite awhile.....

Just made art out of the fatcap.......

MothersDayTriTip089.jpg

Like Guero__gordo says, if it's tender & juicy, doesn't matter.....

MothersDayTriTip065.jpg

3/8" slab, tenderbender...........

MothersDayTriTip067.jpg

I cook mine one of two ways - both hot and fast and both with hickory wood thrown in with charcoal:

A: hook and hang in the PBC - 30-40 min or so is great for medium rare with a crust
B: similarly, I put my cajun bandit stacker on my OTG and cook directly over a hot fire with elevation (my closest to simulate a santa-maria grill I guess). Flipping often (every 5 minutes or so) - not even sure how long it takes, since I never really walk away I just cook until it feels done. Probably 25-30 min or so i'd wager.

I like B the best - it gives more of a char crust/bark than the PBC does, and has a bit more contrast between the char and crispy outer and the warm soft and juicy center.

BOTH are delicious. The few times i've done them low-and-slow they have come out just fine, but I absolutely don't see any advantage to it in taste/tenderness/timeframe/juicyness/etc.

Well guys, I did my tri-tip today. Went low/indirect to 130 using apple wood for smoke. Pulled it at130 and (I misread the helpful hints) and ran the Akorn to 600 direct for the sear. I got the sear alright. Charred one side, flipped it then took it off when internal hit 145. I passed up med rare and ran right into medium (maybe past that at 155 internal) while resting. It was my first try. It was edible but more done than we would have liked. Next time I'll pay a lot more attention to everybody's helpful hints about sear temps and internal temps. Thanks to everyone who gave me help on this one.

If it's way overdone, just make some chili out of it. You'll get it next time. The sear first, then indirect method is easier. Way less chance of overcooking it as you don't need to guess when to pull it.

I traditional sear 5 minutes per side and then move to indirect for 20-30 minutes flipping every five. Internal temp of 125-130. Drag a fork across the meat after it's cooked and you'll see the grains, cut against them. I like a sweet tangy bbq sauce for dipping, but I'm looking into board sauces now. Sauces utilizing the juices from the cutting board.

Back