Brisket KISS method question

ugaalf

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am cooking my first brisket this weekend on a Stumps Baby smoker. Studying the various brisket threads has convinced me to use Bludawgs KISS method. I am a little nervous about the timing and want to throw the following question out to the forum to get some input: We plan to eat at about 4PM, and I am smoking a 12 pound packer. Looking at the KISS method it would seem that the meat could be ready to serve as quickly as 6-7 hours, including the 2 hour rest. If I put the meat on at 6AM it could be ready to cut and serve by 12 or 1. I am too nervous about making sure the meat is done on time, especially after reading many posts that require much longer cooks. If the meat is done and rested by 12 -1 is it going to be dry and not very tasty by 4, or are there things that I can do to maintain the flavor?

If it is done early wrap it up in towels stick it in a cooler. I've seen them stay hot for hours. I've pulled them out and they were so hot you could barely touch. Longer rest will be good for it.

CarlWayne is right. Wrap it up and place it in a cooler. We left a brisket in a cooler last week for nearly 5 hours after a 6 hour cook and it was fine.

I hold briskets 7-8 hours no problem, just make sure you vent the steam prior to wrapping in a towel and placing in the cooler or it will continue to cook.

When you wrap it with the towels, is the meat still inside the butcher paper?

As long as you follow Blu's directions as far as the cooking temp you'll be fine, a little extra rest won't hurt anything and it's always better to have the main course done and ready to slice when you and your guests are ready to eat, I routinely cook my briskets plenty early and rest them as much as 3 hours before they're sliced. If you're wrapping with paper you can let it rest without venting it but if you wrap with foil you will want to vent the foil until the IT comes down to the 150s and then reseal the foil. Finally as Carl Wayne said, if there's going to be a really long wait before you're ready to serve then just stow the brisket away into a cooler, wrapped in towels.:-D

When you wrap it with the towels, is the meat still inside the butcher paper?
Yes. If you have some lying around you can also use some newspaper in the place of towels if you like, it works great and it cuts down on your laundry bill.:wink:

We typically eat around 6, I will start the fire at 8, and the brisket is usually on the pit by 830-845, depending on where I am in mowing the yard. I follow all of Bludawgs directions except I use Montreal Steak Seasoning instead of S&P, when it’s done its done, and I pull and vent until there is no more steam coming off of it, not really sure what the temp is but it is very visible, while this is being done I bring a pot of water up to almost boiling and pour it in my cooler, to pre heat it. When the brisket is ready to go in, I pour the water out and wrap the brisket in one beach towel, and it rests until we are fixing our plates, then I slice off what we are eating and leave the rest whole.

Yes. If you have some lying around you can also use some newspaper in the place of towels if you like, it works great and it cuts down on your laundry bill.:wink:

I have towels specifically for meat. They stink when they are done. My wife might kill me if I use her "good" towels. Haha

If you are going to rest and hold the brisket, as others have said, be sure to let it vent off before holding. Otherwise, your brisket will be overcooked.

Just for the rest of us newcomers - could someone please post the link to Bludawg's KISS method?

@Ugaalf - please post your results, and maybe some pictures?

Bludawg can post it, I think he has it on file. But, in essence...

Don't overthink it, cook the danged brisket at 300F, cook it until it's probe tender
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT INTERNAL TEMPERATURE
stop thinking, just cook the meat, rest it on the counter, eat when you want

Hows that? :clap:

Just for the rest of us newcomers - could someone please post the link to Bludawg's KISS method?

@Ugaalf - please post your results, and maybe some pictures?

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Back