• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vac Sealing - Do's and Don'ts?

CakeM1x

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just wondering what you all vac seal and what you won't vac seal due to quality loss(ie: peppers lose their crunchiness when frozen)? Now that I chambered vac'd a ton of meat I'm wondering what other things freeze really well?

You can seal just about anything. Doesn't always have to be frozen. Things like cheese can go back in fridge. One lesson I learned is if you are going to freeze things like pulled pork and want to boil in the bag to heat up later double seal the bag. I have been known to make pulled pork soup when the bag opens.

Pre-freeze high liquid foods before sealing. Potatoes, sweet corn, green beans.

Matches and fire starters for camping/hiking, dry socks...

Shampoo and soap for the suitcase.

Stamp/coin collection.

Re seal that bag of chips

List goes on

So the juices don't get sucked up into the sealer

Ive wrapped fish in clear plactic wrap first for the same reason
I have a chamber vac so no need for this step then correct? Is there a way to retain the crisp of a pepper if you freeze it?

I have a chamber vac so no need for this step then correct?

Correct.
"With a chamber vacuum sealing machine, the entire bag that is placed inside the vacuum sealing machine and a lid is brought down over it. The chamber sealing machine removes all of the air from within the chamber, and when the vacuum cycle is finished the heat bar rises and applies the seal to the bag. Because the machine is never sucking on the open end of the bag, you can seal soups, stews, and virtually any liquid in the bag. Additionally, you can use a wide variety of flat chamber vacuum bags with this type of vacuum technology, which cost up to 80% less than the textured bags that have to be used with the clamp-style, external vacuum machine. If you seal frequently, the savings on the bags can quickly pay for the difference in the cost of a chamber machine versus a suction machine. "
https://www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/Which_vacuum_sealer_is_best.html

You can seal just about anything. Doesn't always have to be frozen. Things like cheese can go back in fridge. One lesson I learned is if you are going to freeze things like pulled pork and want to boil in the bag to heat up later double seal the bag. I have been known to make pulled pork soup when the bag opens.

I made some pulled pork soup a few weeks ago myself but I think I've learned that if you use really hot, but not boiling, water and keep less than about three pounds of pork in it, the bags hold up pretty well.

What vac equipment do you recommend? I have never vac sealed anything, but am planning to start doing so.

What vac equipment do you recommend? I have never vac sealed anything, but am planning to start doing so.

I would say, the one Cake mix has is very high end.
I have the weston 2300 pro, it'll suck the dimples outa golf balls

Research and find what will meet your needs and price.

birthday cake doesn't do too well, even frozen

squishes the roses in the icing too bad

Make sure the cake frozen good and hard before freezing. Very important is to remove cake from vacuum bag before defrosting.

I've got a good but not expensive one and the only prob I have is liquid keeping it from sealing. Since I've refrigerated before sealing with good results.

I've got a good but not expensive one and the only prob I have is liquid keeping it from sealing. Since I've refrigerated before sealing with good results.

I agree this works well. If however you are in a hurry. Such as needing to rush to the store for the amazing meat sale. And you need to beat everyone on this forum to said store, then just running the bag a couple of extra inches longer goes the trick too.

Last edited:
I learned to seal the ends twice..ie before putting the meat or whatever in the bag and then seal the second end up. This ensures that I hadn't included a fold or wrinkle in the bag containing juices, etc.

I do notice that sometimes the meat shrinks up in the sealed bag. I am thinking that this maybe due to the meat being warm prior to sealing?

Pre-freezing is a great idea.

I also usually vac/seal some prime steaks...hate seeing crystals on good meat on a tray of Styrofoam.

If you do not have a restrictive budget and will be using one on a regular basis, get a chamber vacuum sealer.
:thumb:

I have a cheap arse foodsaver gamesaver model. Just had to replace an 8 year old one with moderate use. Does a decent job and a canister feature. $113 on Amazon for an 8 year life span.

Back