Spicy Drunken Noodles with Chuck Eye Steaks

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
OK, since Jbounds was asking about recipes for a griddle, and since y'all have gone griddle crazy, thought I'd write up a quick how to on Pad Kee Mao (Spicy Drunken Noodles) I cooked the steaks separately and put it on top, but you can totally thin slice a protein of your choice and mix it in... If you do that, I just brown the meat, set it aside, cook the rest, add meat back in at the end. Chicken, pork, shrimp, or thin sliced beef all work well in this dish..

Start with prepping everything. I use onions, Red bell peppers, tomatoes, Garlic, chilis, Thai basil, sprouts, and tonight, Sheetake mushrooms. You can really use whatever you like.. I've seen this with green peppers, broccoli, etc etc. Make it how you like it!

The crucial ingredients are garlic and chilis. Need lotsa both

I grew Thai (also known as holy) basil and thai chilis in my garden this year. You can substitute Serranos for the thai chilis, and even regular basil in a pinch, but if you can find thai basil, you should. Such a better flavor for this.

Before I started the main course, I cooked some chuck eyes hot and fast... took about 4 minuts, my grill was hot hot hot...

Now its time to do some wok cooking.. This should translate to your griddles just fine..

Started with a little peanut oil.. Then added the onion and bell pepper. after a couple minutes, add the garlic and chili. Toss for a few seconds, added the mushrooms. At this point you have probably been cooking for 3-4 minutes tops. It goes fast, be ready.

As you see the the veggies soften, push them to the side and add the noodles. Traditionally this dish uses XL rice noodles. Tonight I used Udon I found in the frozen section. Its really up to you, Use what you like or what's available...

Let the noodles sit in the bottom of the wok for 30-sec/ a minute and get a little char on them, then toss with veggies. I let them char a little more before moving on.. (If you cooked thin sliced meat, add it back in nowish..)

Once you feel everything has been mixed up/charred etc, add the sauce. It is as follows -

3 Tbs Oyster Sauce
2 tea Dark soy
1 Tbs Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce
2 Tbs Fish Sauce
1 Tbs Sugar

I add in small amounts till the color is a medium brown.. Depending on how much you're making, you may not use all the sauce. Let that cook for a minute or 2. Now you're basically done. Add the tomatoes, Thai Basil, and Sprouts.

Toss and serve.

With the steak!

Hopefully this all makes sense, I may be a few beers in....

Kap-kum-kap! (mangled-'Merican version of "Thank you" in Thai.. as said by a man).

That's some delicious-lookin' drunken noodles right there, brother.

I love some quality Thai food...

Over the top again! I have a BlackStone in the garage waiting to be assembled. Thanks, this will be on the short list.

Cool, Mike! Let me know how it goes. Hopefully one of these days I'll make something with ingredients that are actually easy to source in Springfield...

Gerry, swing on by if it doesn't work out. I always make too much

Cool, Mike! Let me know how it goes. Hopefully one of these days I'll make something with ingredients that are actually easy to source in Springfield...

I travel a bit, so I just need to take a cooler and make a list before I leave...

Keep them coming. I won't have to plan a menu, I'll just say we're having what Shags just cooked. Then show the wife your food pron!

Beautiful cook! Love me some Thai food and especially love some chuckeye.

Back