Prime Rib: Lbs per guest estimate

BigDog43

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have 12 guests for Christmas dinner and I'm attempting my first prime rib cook on my BGE. What size chunk of meat do I need?!? What's the general rule of thumb with prime rib per person?

I would go with 1 rib per person for the big eaters and 1 rib per 2 people for smaller appetites.

If you get a select-grade prime rib, cut that in half. If you get prime and do a good job, double what peeps said. Typically, though, that's what I figure. A rough rule of thumb for me is 1 pound per person.
I was of course considering a Holiday spread that leaves folks miserable after taking a moderate sampling of everything :wink:

Really depends on whether it's bone in or not. For boneless roasts, I figure 1/2lb per person plus a lb or two or three extra depending on whom is going to be there. I'll also often go by length and figure about 1/2in slice person, so 1 inch of loin for every 2 people. This isn't a problem at Kroger as they'll cut the loin to my exact specifications, i.e. I can tell them that I want an 8inch long piece starting from the chuck end.

"I was of course considering a Holiday spread that leaves folks miserable after taking a moderate sampling of everything"

Yes sir, of course.

I am cooking the same for 14 people. We are getting a 7 bone rib roast. That thing is about 14 pounds, and right at grate width for a BGE or Kamado Joe. It will just fit.

On a side note, I made a test run on Yorkshire Pudding yesterday and it was spot on. No idea why it is called pudding, but what do I know. I used a recipe from a website that was called cooking for engineers.

Normal folks is one bone for two people. One bone per person in very large amounts of meat.

Normal folks is one bone for two people. One bone per person in very large amounts of meat.
My perspective is skewed since my family is not normal size, I guess :wink: I'm small by comparison at 6', 250#, and a size 13 shoe. :becky:

Well, we ARE the BBQ Brethren. What about us suggests "normal" to you? :becky:

I was thinking the same thing though.
A WHOLE rib roast is 7 bones I think, but it's about 14-15 lbs.
So there's about 2 lbs of meat per bone. When I carve mine, I end up with about twice as many steaks as bones.

.....not that I WOULDN'T want a 2 lb piece of prime rib on my plate of course. :rolleyes:

I cook a rib for 16 annual beach-going friends every September. I get a full cut, 7 bones, and we always have some for sandwiches for a couple days after. I also lay out a bunch of appetizers to help fill the void. Much like some of the brethren, I could wolf down a mighty big piece if that's all I'm eating.

If you don't have your heart set on prime rib I would consider getting a NY strip roast. I have done both for Christmas and I think the NY strip roast has just as good a flavor and is easier and has a lot less waste. I usually figure a 1/2 lb. per person and get a little extra so 8 or 9 lbs. should be good. It never hurts to have leftovers.

When carving your Standing Rib Roast, you aren't serving the bones.
You fillet the ribeye roast from the bones, then slice that pink goodness
to serve.
There is plenty of meat between the bones to pick at later; if you have dogs, they will love you.

I buy my roasts as one bone per person. If children are eating, I'll cut them thin slices so it is not wasted.

Leftovers make a great lunch, or vac-seal for a special treat for a future lunch/meal. The bones and the meat between them go to make soup, stock, or chili.

I buy my roasts as one bone per person. If children are eating, I'll cut them thin slices so it is not wasted.

Leftovers make a great lunch, or vac-seal for a special treat for a future lunch/meal. The bones and the meat between them go to make soup, stock, or chili.

Good plan. That is why I never buy a boneless rib roast.
And sorry, machar: The dogs get left out of this one.

I always figure 1/2 pound per person. With all the other food we never eat more than that much meat.

I have done 2 bones 3 people and it seems to work out. this year I've got 15 people. Yikes. That 's going to hurt.... However, I am going to serve 1 or 2 trays of Costco frozen lasagne (which is really good) to fill up their tanks.

Back