Just ordered my Lone Star Grillz 24x48 horizontal

Eddie Mac

Found some matches.
Reaction score
This is my first post as I am new to this forum. Been reading up and looks like people are impressed with their LSG pits. I went a head and ordered the 24x48 offset. Had them add a Guru blower adapter to the firebox. Has anyone had this option added to their LSG? Kind of a unique set up, they add the port to the pit side firebox right under their gass assist port instead of on the damper side. It's positioned low on the firebox so the airflow is under the wood grate. Added a coal basket so I can try the menion method too. Anyway, I'll let everyone know in 12 weeks or so how well it works.

Nice, I am looking at that pit and the 24x24 vertical offset.

What's the deposit on these orders?

Congratulations, I am looking forward to your first reports and all of your cooks on it.

This is my first post as I am new to this forum. Been reading up and looks like people are impressed with their LSG pits. I went a head and ordered the 24x48 offset. Had them add a Guru blower adapter to the firebox. Has anyone had this option added to their LSG? Kind of a unique set up, they add the port to the pit side firebox right under their gass assist port instead of on the damper side. It's positioned low on the firebox so the airflow is under the wood grate. Added a coal basket so I can try the menion method too. Anyway, I'll let everyone know in 12 weeks or so how well it works.

I have that pit. I went with a single cook chamber door and two long grates, 1/2" F/B, charcoal basket, fold down front shelf and gas assist log lighter. Tuning plates are also a good feature. You should be very happy with, it cooks great and the craftsmenship is awesome.

Congrats! You won't be dissapointed.

Well first off you made a great choice for your pit builder, Chris produces an excellent product and you'll get many years of great Q off of your pit.:thumb:
As for the Guru setup I'm a traditionalist when it comes to running an offset and I'd be burning sticks in it the old-school way but it's always fun to watch others experiment with charcoal baskets and controllers. The good thing is that if the Guru doesn't perform as you want it to you'll still have a great stick burner that will make some top notch Q!
Since I have an LSG offset as well, in case you should ever want to do it the old way here's my fire building method. I think that the dimensions of your firebox should be the same as mine and you should be able to incorporate the same procedure with your pit. Good luck with your new baby and welcome to the LSG family!:grin:
BUILDING A FIRE IN AN OFFSET...
The best way to run your offset is to build a good, hot wood fire and develop a thick bed of coals to thoroughly heat the pit. Leave the exhaust dampers wide open and adjust the temps with your intake damper. Here's my fire building method...
Open the doors and all of the dampers to the pit. Start with an 8 to 10 lb bag of lump charcoal, filling a chimney with about half to light and pour the rest into the firebox. When your chimney is thoroughly lit, pour the lit coals on to the mound of unlit coals in the firebox, put a couple of wood splits on top and allow them to burn down to begin generating more coals. When the wood splits have fully ignited and are ashed over, shut the doors and leave the dampers fully open to allow plenty of draft as the pit heats up.
Once the temp climbs to about 25 degrees or so above where you want to cook at, begin adjusting down on the intake damper until you have dialed in your cooking temp and then add another wood split to begin a routine of a split every 45 minutes to an hour. This way you are constantly adding to the coal bed and your temps are staying pretty much consistent. As long as you add your splits when they are needed your pit will practically run itself and though there will be SOME fluctuation in temps when opening the firebox door and when the newly added split catches on, the pit will recover very quickly. You'll be cooking in a ZONE. If you want to cook at 275 for instance, work to maintain a zone of 50 degrees and maintain the temp in an area between 250 and 300. The temp will fall to between 250 and 275 when the pit is ready for another split and then the temp will rise to between 275 and 300 as the split ignites but eventually the temp will settle in to the 275 that you have the intake damper set for. Again, as long as you're adding your splits regularly your pit will pretty much be on auto pilot and you'll never have to worry about losing your temps or dirty smoke.:wink:

All i can say is this... If i did not build pits.... I would let them build me one in a heartbeat.... Very good quality no doubt

Oldbill... Could not agree more. I enjoy the art of maintaining a perfect temp. That's why I chose this setup. Can do either once I buy a Guru but break in and initial smokes will be old skool.

I just received my 24x48 offset from Lonestar, shipped all the way to Virginia. We actually ordered a pair between my friend and I. Couldn't be happier. They delivered on-time, the crating and packaging was exceptional (not a scratch), and the smoker is a work of metal art. Nothing skimped, tolerances superb. The doors seal like a vault. I can't wait to start cooking with it and figure out how to drive this thing. With various options and shipping it was not cheap ... and what I received was worth every penny.

Filippo

Welcome to the LSG family. Mine is one of the vertical offsets. I absolutely love it. You are going to love yours too!

Apologize for bumping this old thread but I have not been online in a while and wanted to give feedback to all those that inquired and commented.

Pit works so well I haven't even purchased the Guru to try it out. Buddy of mine has one and will probably borrow his to test before I purchase. I have not been a fan of the charcoal basket at all. The dividers are single ply steel and they heat up enough that they light the adjacent coals on the next row, eventually the whole basket is burning and my temp was out of control. Thought about replacing the dividers with Gator Pits T divider but again, the pit burns sticks like a champ and I haven't need to do any long burns (10+ hrs).

I have always burned sticks in my LSG offset. I used to use a Guru on my BGE but no linger do that since any longer cooks are done on my offset.

Next time you are in the area, go by and check out Chris's new showroom. It is huge and awesome. That guy is doing some business for sure!

Congratulations on the pit. They are solid as a rock. Last year I was working on a vessel and the captain had his installed on the ship. I thought that was pretty cool. It's not everyday that you see a wood fired offset on a 800+ foot ship.

Last edited:
Back