Primo Oval Primer

smokin30-06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
There are various setup and usages options with the Primo Oval. Reversible grates, dividers, racks, reflector plate or plates etc etc.

primo%20cutout.jpg
primo_-reflector_plate_for_oval_XL.jpg

I just got the reflector plates. I am anxious to try them out.

So far, I have tried a few combinations:
Divider in, fire on left, left grate Low, right grate High for chicken and veggies. 325*

Divider in, fire on left, left grate High, right grate High. Steak and veggies. 400*

Divider in, fire on left, left grate High, right grate High. Pork butt on right. 270*

Divider out, fire on on both sides, left grate High, right grate High. Steaks for family 325*

• How do you run your Primo and for what purpose? What works best for you?

• The guy at the local grill store (Metro Outdoor) said he lights a fire on both sides to start. Wouldn't this leave you with two separate fires of lump?

• So far, I have used Weber cubes to light one spot, except once. How do you load and light your Primo?
Thanks for your input!
John

I don't have a Primo but light my kamado with a hand held propane torch. It always burns from center outward. I light the edges in four spots 90 degrees from each other. 30 seconds in each spot. It always ends up being one fire.

I don't have a Primo but light my kamado with a hand held propane torch. It always burns from center outward. I light the edges in four spots 90 degrees from each other. 30 seconds in each spot. It always ends up being one fire.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you do this for high And low heat cooks? What's your target temp when you do this?

with the divider in, use the left side for lump as this is more direct to the lower vent side.

On lighting for smoking cooks, below 300, some folks light in two spots and others light in one spot on right side so it burns toward the lower vent. Just gotta play some.

t

Thanks for the feedback. Do you do this for high And low heat cooks? What's your target temp when you do this?

This is how I light for everything.After the torch I leave the lid open until I'm sure it's lit(about 5 min). Then close lid with top and bottom vent fully open. Once it gets to 200 I close bottom vent 3/4 of the way and top just open a crack. I then monitor from there to desired temp which is anywhere from 250 to 400 for most stuff.

Back