can somebody explain smoked tri-tip to me?!

I cook mine in a Kamado Joe using 2 zone cooking, so your results may differ. I cook mine at about 300 (on the "deflected" side of the grill) or so until the IT is 115º. Then, I remove and open my vents and get my grill up to 700º or higher and sear for about 1:30 per side, and then an additional :30 per side. Med rare to Med and it's super tender, flavorful and juicy. TriTip has become one of my favorite beef cuts recently.

If you're looking for some smoke flavor, I would cook/smoke it at a lower temp. Maybe around 250, just like how you might smoke a butt or brisket. This way you will get a little more time in the smoke. Then like Smirak, I'd pull it at about 115 internal temp and grill it off.

When I cook a tritip, I rub it a few hours (sometimes overnight) before and keep it very cold. From there I take it straight from cold to my smoker. I smoke at the lowest temperature I can (usually 225-250). When the meat hits an internal temp of 115-120 I take it out and let it rest for a bit while I heat a grill or broiler to high heat. I then sear the outside to a crust and try to get the internal temperature to 130-135.

All of these yes....they'll come out nice & juicy...just watch the ending with a bit of care....

Does Tri-tip go by any other name? I haven't come across it here at all.

On the other hand, I haven't gone looking for it either, but I'd like to try it.

Bottom sirloin tip ( don't be fooled by sirloin tip or tips, that's different...

This shows where it comes from:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_p2iz9iq08"]Beef Carcass Break Down 3 - butcher - YouTube[/ame]

There is also the trisket method. Cook a tri-tip just like you would a brisket. Go by probe tender for final result.
Odd as it may seem, this will produce a moist, tender, not overcooked piece of very flavorful beef.

I've gone medium heat for a long time, like 235, 4 hours (I think?) on the left....

PostWestCoastMeet037.jpg

Also very long & low, like 190~210 10 hours, to get this.....

MemorialsJuly2012043-1.jpg

That's my favorite thing in the world right there ^^^^^^^

Damn Buckie, that bottom picture looks delicious, but I'd be scared to go that long...

Tri-Tips have quickly become one of my favorite cuts of beef. I reverse sear as others have described above. It doesn't take long to cook one, and it turns out tender, juicy, and delicious.

I'm a sandwich kinda guy, so I won't even wait for it to become leftovers before I make a French Dip. Thin sliced, piled high on a Ciabatta or Sourdough roll, maybe some caramelized onions, slice of Pepper Jack, dipped in some Au Jus, juices running down my arms...

I think I need a smoke... :redface:

You did that to yourself !!!!

Damn Buckie, that bottom picture looks delicious, but I'd be scared to go that long...

Strain & Inject.....

MemorialsJuly2012022-2.jpg

MemorialsJuly2012020-1.jpg

UN-sweetened cocoa & granulated garlic dry rub......

MemorialsJuly2012026-2.jpg

MemorialsJuly2012024-2.jpg

Leave the fatcap on.......go real low....creeper cookup......

MemorialsJuly2012031-1.jpg

10 ~ 11 hours....no hot 'n' fast here.....

MemorialsJuly2012045.jpg

These ones didn't go quite long enough.....

AfferMemorialsJuly2012049.jpg

see how it's more chunky & not quite long strands?
little more time....

AfferMemorialsJuly2012055.jpg

AfferMemorialsJuly2012054.jpg

Just another way to work out on The Fabulous Tri-Tip !!!!

Like many I've done tri-tip on the smoker at 300* and pulled it at say 125* internal temp and then reverse sear it on kettle until about 135* internal. My family likes a touch more done than me.

I cook it at 225-250 until it gets to about 120 then sear it until 135, never had a dud,always good. I wrap it in foil for 10-15 minutes so it's nice and juicy, then slice, put on a plate and pour the juices over it!

Does Tri-tip go by any other name? I haven't come across it here at all.

On the other hand, I haven't gone looking for it either, but I'd like to try it.
Labeled as "Triangle Roast" in some areas.
Sometimes you have to ask for it by the Meat Buyer's Guide number to get the right cut. Here;

185C Loin Bottom Sirloin Butt, Tri-tip
185D Loin Bottom Sirloin Butt, Tri-Tip, Defatted
[see IMPS/NAMP 185C, 185D in
The Meat Buyer's Guide]
TRI-TIP Boneless cut removed from
bottom sirloin butt, also known as
the triangle.

Just my 2 cents but have smoked/cooked tri-tip on my gasser for years low and slow
I have a 4 burner remove grill put my cast iron wood smoke box on burner bars light set on high for 15-20 mins till i see smoke put tri-tip on top rack on other end for an indirect heat style cooking close lid adjust 1burner to low other high is way my gasser works
I get 225-230 this way then ck in an hour with temp prob and wait till it gets 140 then pull tent wait for 20-25 mins then slice thin and enjoy
I have not had any complaints about my tri-tip
Also i satue red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers with a large white onion and 4 or 5 garlic cloves with half a bolltle of worstershire sauce and 2 cups pf water covered for about 45 mins to go with it

My preferred method for cooking tri-tip is a direct, low fire, 6 to 8 seconds hold time. This gives you a long cook, can be 40 minutes to an hour, and will bring internal temperature up to 125°F or so. No sear or other methods. However, you need an adjustable grill grate and a fire box you can manage the fire in.

I have found that with a kettle or UDS, smoking at 225°F-245°F indirect, gives the best approximation of this result. The tri-tip will have a nice smoky flavor and still be tender and rare in the middle. Done right, the entire center is a nice even pink. I have abandoned the reverse sear, as I decided the slight sear adds nothing to the eating.

Also, I agree, let it cool overnight, slice thin, some horseradish sauce and nice bread, killer sandwich.

Incidentally, to my knowledge, Tortaboy is the originator of the concept of cooking a tri-tip like a brisket. And although I still think it is over-cooked, I have to say, it produces a nice hunk of meat.

Incidentally, to my knowledge, Tortaboy is the originator of the concept of cooking a tri-tip like a brisket. And although I still think it is over-cooked, I have to say, it produces a nice hunk of meat.

I just can't bring myself to do it. If I want a brisket, I'll cook one. Seems sacrilege to do that to a Tri-Tip... :hand:

I just can't bring myself to do it. If I want a brisket, I'll cook one. Seems sacrilege to do that to a Tri-Tip... :hand:

I'd never done a tritip until about a month ago, and my local butcher talked me into trying one, and said to cook it like a brisket. Turned out fantastic, and my most of my guests thought it was brisket.

I have done a few since, with various methods, and the results of the non brisket technique turn out a completely different product. I'm actually amazed at how different the two methods turn out.

Of course, I ain't too bright and I'm easily amazed.

Texans are weird like that. I cooked up 3 tri tips med rare, perfectly pink all the way through for a benefit event a few years back. A biker club crashed the benefit and started eating all the food.. I was shocked when one of the bikers declared that the tri tip was the best brisket he had ever eaten!

It was med rare!

I have to say that cooking a tri tip like a brisket is not in the top 1 trillion ways I would prepare one. Don't get that at all.

I'd never done a tritip until about a month ago, and my local butcher talked me into trying one, and said to cook it like a brisket. Turned out fantastic, and my most of my guests thought it was brisket.

I have done a few since, with various methods, and the results of the non brisket technique turn out a completely different product. I'm actually amazed at how different the two methods turn out.

Of course, I ain't too bright and I'm easily amazed.

Texans are weird like that. I cooked up 3 tri tips med rare, perfectly pink all the way through for a benefit event a few years back. A biker club crashed the benefit and started eating all the food.. I was shocked when one of the bikers declared that the tri tip was the best brisket he had ever eaten!

It was med rare!

I have to say that cooking a tri tip like a brisket is not in the top 1 trillion ways I would prepare one. Don't get that at all.

Y'all are welcome to do them just as you like......

I've been cooking them since 1982, due to meeting up with an enlighten butcher & friends, mostly some variation of the standard medium rare......

Started fiddling with injecting them in 1992, after a Cajun fellow who later married my neighbor, did a deep fried turkey next door & I got that injecting might be a way to get extra liquid to 'cook' the inside & flavor it in some varied ways.......medium rare was becoming ordinary after 12 years of it....very, very good to great, but ordinary......

In 1994, I did up a cook for a group of friends whose birthday all falls in June, tri-tip, various sausages, flank steak rolls, a small clod roast, zucchini, asparagus, rice & people brought chips & salsa & desserts.....
this was done on 5 or 6 Webers, with a 55 gallon grill (not an UDS) for roast corn & hot holding.....A lot of the people that were to show, didn't & I set in 4 or five tri-tip along with the clod in one end of the barrel grate & a relatively small amount of charcoal & wood in the other end just to keep it warmed enough in case folks showed late.....
They sat in there a part of the afternoon & when we went to fix up some leftover to send home with folks, they just stood there tearing off pieces of the tri-tip (pulled, I guess) & eating.......

I get that everybody in the world likes their steak medium rare, that medium rare looks tremendous for a photo in a magazine or on the Internet, and that 98% of everyone who cooks a tri-tip treats it like a steak....

I do not, i treat it like a roast, except when I treat it, sometimes, like a steak.....33 years of the exact same ribeye cook, while very nice, might get a little old......

Here's another icky one (try not to gag)....

AfferMemorialsJuly2012066.jpg

Bend test.....

AfferMemorialsJuly2012068.jpg

Might possibly be the most versatile piece on the whole cow.....think brisket, medium rare.....suppose it could be done, but most likely much trickier than this......

Here's a few more merrily roasting away to horribly overdone to the point people won't eat them & I get all the leftovers ( I also leave the fatcap on...double minus points).......

KenBBQ512011021.jpg

If this upsets the tummy, have some pinkelephant garlic, it will calm what ails ya....

7-3031-2011carolynproject-fatties-elegarlic085.jpg

I'll be over here....fixin' up the 'Turd Platter (using yet another hare-brained method that won't come out right)

7-3031-2011carolynproject-fatties-elegarlic056.jpg

Again,

Y'all are welcome to do them just as you like......

I've always reverse seared.

To those who go much, much longer....

Does the tri tip dry out at all??? I know it won't be pink(don't care), but is it still juicy??? Do you foil, butcher paper???

I know it is already a juicy, juicy cut of meat- is still after 4+ hours???

I will definitely try this- just want the "secrets"...

thanks!

Jimmy

If you go careful & not too, too hot of a cook temp, yes, it will stay tender & still pretty juicy....maybe 275 max. indirect...........

This was Mother's Day a couple years ago....Ma likes her beef....

I was messing around w/ charcoal baskets & went too hot to start......rested in loose foil & it was OK....

MothersDayTriTip064.jpg

MothersDayTriTip065.jpg

Injection is a good cheat....I know that makes some folks skin crawl almost as much as well done triskets, but it works great.....
I use a specialized Worcestershire type stuff often, or any kind of marinade that has a little bit of an oily consistency, strained out & shot all thru as much as it will hold......you lose some during cooking, but it will keep the meat moist & cook whatever flavor into it.......
Soy sauce type marinades seem too salty & tend to dry it out more easily done that way.......

Don't always inject, but the very, very long cook to pull ones are always injected...............

Personally, I make art out of the fatcap....

MothersDayTriTip087.jpg

HEY! Farkers, you guys are going to ruin our Tri Tip market here!
It's stringy and tastes like shoe leather. Turtle meat is better.
Nothing to see here.
BRISKET IS KING!

Buckie, it looks great, but I just can't see myself doing it. As long as you and yours enjoy, I won't say you are doing it wrong.

HEY! Farkers, you guys are going to ruin our Tri Tip market here!
It's stringy and tastes like shoe leather. Turtle meat is better.
Nothing to see here.
BRISKET IS KING!

Yes, turtle is actually pretty good....good stuff, real good...much better than junky old tri-tip.....:laugh:

See....icky ~~~>

PostWestCoastMeet041.jpg

Back