• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Eggspert Needed - Questions about grill extender

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just picked up a grill extender for my large BGE. My plan was to cook a couple of 8-9 lb butts on top of a 12 pounder packer I picked up a couple of days ago.

Now when I look at the grill extender, I'm wondering how I'm going to fit the packer on the main grill because I don't think the grill extender is tall enough. Does anyone have an ingenious way to raise the grill extender about an inch? I don't have any fire brick, but surely there has to be something laying around the house that would work.

Second question: I use the plate setter for my indirect setup. Doing so raises the main grid. If I add the grill extender on top of that, won't the top grill be too high? I'm guessing that the solution might be to remove the fire ring and place the plate setter directly on the fire box for my "double-decker" cooks, but I just want to be sure before I fire anything up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bret

3bcb5108.jpg

They will fit. I've done the same thing a bunch of times. The extender is hinged so even if the point is thicker at the beginning of the cook, just let it rest on the meat. During the cook, the brisket will shrink enough that it wont be an issue

You might want to make a foil heat shield for the brisket, then remove it in 6 or 7 hours.

DSC01859a.jpg

a packer should fit under there no problem. too high? naaaaaaaa

ribeyesasppine-031.jpg

I guess I forgot that the extender's legs hinge down. Thanks to both of you for the advice.

What about the other thing? Will the top grid be too high if I have both a plate setter and a grill extender? Should I remove the fire ring and put the plate setter (legs up) right on the fire box?

One more thing. What does a woo ring give me that the grill extender doesn't?
Thanks,
Bret

I guess I forgot that the extender's legs hinge down. Thanks to both of you for the advice.

What about the other thing? Will the top grid be too high if I have both a plate setter and a grill extender? Should I remove the fire ring and put the plate setter (legs up) right on the fire box?

No, you will be fine. You will need the fire ring in there because you will add lump almost to the top of the ring.

One more thing. What does a woo ring give me that the grill extender doesn't?
Thanks,
Bret

extenderring05.jpg

The ring will allow you to do raised direct cooking without getting the main grate dirty. You can do very raised direct if you use it, the regular grid and the extender.

MVC-021S.jpg

Back