Injection question

Robalo1

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm kinda under the gun to cook a good brisket tomorrow and I thought I would inject it with Big Ron's beef injection. The instructions say to dissolve 1/4 cup per 8oz of liquid and refrigerate overnight. I have an 11# packer and my questions are this, do the instructions mean to inject it in the meat and refrigerate overnight, or let it sit overnight then inject it? Also, how much should I inject for this size brisket. And while I am at it, here is my setup. I am using a 20"x54" Klose backyard smoker with lump charcoal and post oak chunks. I plan to cook at 225 and wrap in butcher paper at 155 and cook to 205. Any chance for success? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.:thumb:

I've never used Big Ron's, but overnight seems too long to have the injection sit. I inject about 4 hours before cooking.

As far as how much, I make 32oz of injection for two briskets that are about 13-15 ponds before trimming. I'd make 16 oz. and get as much of it into the brisket as you can, concentrating on the flat.

Any particular reason for 225 cook temp? Briskets come out great at higher temps, so if your Klose likes to run hotter, don't fight it.

Also, don't cook to an internal temperature. Every brisket is different and will be done at a different temp. Cook it until your probe goes into the thickest part of the flat with little to no resistance.

I wrap when the bark color is what I want, regardless of IT.

I'm kinda under the gun to cook a good brisket tomorrow and I thought I would inject it with Big Ron's beef injection. The instructions say to dissolve 1/4 cup per 8oz of liquid and refrigerate overnight. I have an 11# packer and my questions are this, do the instructions mean to inject it in the meat and refrigerate overnight, or let it sit overnight then inject it? Also, how much should I inject for this size brisket. And while I am at it, here is my setup. I am using a 20"x54" Klose backyard smoker with lump charcoal and post oak chunks. I plan to cook at 225 and wrap in butcher paper at 155 and cook to 205. Any chance for success? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.:thumb:

His injection is much like Butchers or others. They need the night to set-up properly, BEFORE you inject it into the meat. Also, most (including Butchers) have the minimum amount of water to mix in. I suggest for the first time, double the amount of water, or at least 1/2 again... They can get very intense and salty if you're not careful. For this reason, I inject them only 1 hour before putting them on the smoker.

Good luck with 'em, and I hope the result are as you desire.

If you have to inject "stuff" in to your meat too make it palatable yo need to play the game by different rules and set your self up to win.
BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

I think the instructions mean to mix up the powdered injection with water or some other liquid and refrigerate the mixture overnight so it will thicken up. Inject the next day. Not sure though. Have never used it.

If you have to inject "stuff" in to your meat too make it palatable yo need to play the game by different rules and set your self up to win.

The same could be said about those that need to rub salt and pepper on a brisket to make it palatable. Just sayin'....

My guess is that the OP is going for a little more than "palatable", though, and while salt & pepper only is one way to nail a fine brisket, it certainly isn't the only way.

The same could be said about those that need to rub salt and pepper on a brisket to make it palatable. Just sayin'....

My guess is that the OP is going for a little more than "palatable", though, and while salt & pepper only is one way to nail a fine brisket, it certainly isn't the only way.

Very much agreed. Variety is the spice of life/bbq :clap2:. Folks have different palates and I like my brisket all fancied up if I'm going to eat it. Regular smoked brisket is very mediocre beef to me, even when it is perfectly cooked. Brisket is no ribeye steak :-D. But I do very much enjoy brisket that has been doctored up and transformed into other dishes like tacos, cheesesteak, or even lasagne after it has been smoked.

Injection is a great way to gets any flavor you want into the meat. Definitely keep us posted on the results. I like sauce on my brisket too :thumb:.

Instructions are 1/4 cup powder, 8oz. liquid (water), dissolve, fridge overnite.....I shake it a few times & he suggests straining before injecting.....

I agree w/ Lakedogs, go MORE diffuse the 1st time around.....it can be pretty intense......

Hour before cook for inject is fine.....it's not so much like a marinade, the work gets done while cooking......

I use this mostly just to gently irritate BluDawg.....and to cheat........comes out good....

3-6-2013Beef068.jpg

^^^you can see what it does by not straining.....cooks in toward the center......

10-8-13PTampBrisket041.jpg

Back