Tri Tip on the campfire

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
There's a campfire TD going on right now. I thought this sounded like a lot of fun, so here goes..

So... I've had this old chargriller for about 15 years.. Somewhere along the way I got the rotisserie attachment. I hardly ever use that old rust bucket anymore, so I decided to repurpose the rotisserie and have a bit of fun. I love this stuff.

I took some 1" square steel tubing that I had laying around and cut 2 equal sections.. Then I mounted the brackets to each end..

While I was making this I started fire of cherry and hickory. Wanted to get the coal bed started..

I welded a cross bar in to keep the distance between ends correct and then hammered it into the ground in my fire pit.

I skewered a prime Tri tip on the spit, seasoned with some EVOO and Salt Lick, and put it on the fire about 20 minutes later

While that did its spinny spinny thing, I prepped some onions, home made bacon, and red potatoes. Brought everything I needed out to the fire

The grill is a second level I made for my char griller. 1" square tube and expanded steel. I propped the middle (Its 3 legged) leg up on a brick. I then moved a few coals and logs from the main fire over to under the grill to make the taters. Bacon got crispy

Added onions

and the tri tip spins on

Once onions started to get translucent, I added some flour, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Made a roux. After a couple minutes, I added some milk, then the thin sliced red taters

Getting closer..

Once the tri tip temped at 128 or so, I took the spit off the spinner and brought it right down on the coals for a quick sear

2 minutes a side and that baby is done. 132 degrees. (took about an hour and 15 total)

Let that rest while I finished the taters.. Kids helped with the cheese

Sliced in. Always my favorite part, like opening a meat present

Got one quick plate shot, but I was starving so it was time to eat. Meat had a great smoky flavor, and the taters were awesome, even if they don't look that purty

Great cook, I would say that is a great looking camp food plate

that might oughta be the way you should always do tri-tip

Nice cook!

The shot with the kids looks like a cheese commercial.

What could be better than flame kissed tritip and happy kids:clap2: Neat improv on the rotisserie:thumb:

Shagtastic!

Pretty cool mod you did there. I can see some more things spinning over that fire pit.

Well done Shag!

Awesome! I half expected to see your son with pirate stuff drawn on him...

that might oughta be the way you should always do tri-tip

Thanks, Bob. I dunno about that.. Seemed like a lot more work, but maybe it was just because I had to build the thing too.. The weber is just soooo easy.

That looks fantastic, my kids love tri-tip too!
Thanks Gary, My son requests tri tip pretty much every weekend now. (not that he gets it) It is definitely a hit in our house.

Shagtastic!

Pretty cool mod you did there. I can see some more things spinning over that fire pit.

Well done Shag!

Thanks Sam. Yessir. I will certainly be doing some more fire pit cooks now that I have this built. The motor is kind of weak, so I think small pigs are probably out, but I have a few idears I want to try :thumb:

Plate3_zps67598530.jpg

homer-simpson-drooling-animated-gif_1.jpg

Back