• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Real Carnitas part 2

Pugi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been wanting to do this for awile and I have the go ahead for this weekend. This will be a "stove top" version that does not include the butcher of a pig. Just a trip to your local grocery store for a few simple supplies. Again the whole list is pork meat, lard, and salt. I have cooked this outside in the turkey fryer and inside on the stove top. This weekends version will be on the stove top primarily because its about 10* outside and I'm tired of freezing my baggets off. More to follow with pics of course. Pugi

picture.php

Looking forwards to this.

Showed the boss the other thread and was immediately shut down when she found out it was cooked in lard.

^^^couldnt agree more. The first carnitas post was one of the best I've seen on this site. I've bookmarked that thread just so I could show my friends what kind of cookout I'd like to do someday.

Come on already! ha ha! Just kidding. I just read the "real" carnitas where you showed everything except the living pig and THOROUGHLY enjoyed it. I am really looking forward to this. I have a bunch of lard and a bunch of hog in the freezer and want to try this.....:pop2:

Maybe later you can point out differences between mine and yours so we can all learn?

You bet. Mine are simple. Pork butt in a cast iron Dutch. Simmered in water and salt till fork tender and then I let the water steam out. Then I let the remainder fry up in some lard and the fat that renders out.

Here are my lunch leftovers. Seasoned up with cilantro, squeeze of lime and some Valentina picante hot sauce.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357320683.648593.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357320701.350949.jpg

These ended up more shredded that I wanted but the crispy bits are the best.

You bet. Mine are simple. Pork butt in a cast iron Dutch. Simmered in water and salt till fork tender and then I let the water steam out. Then I let the remainder fry up in some lard and the fat that renders out.

Here are my lunch leftovers. Seasoned up with cilantro, squeeze of lime and some Valentina picante hot sauce.

View attachment 74156

View attachment 74157

These ended up more shredded that I wanted but the crispy bits are the best.

They look good! I've never heard of cooking it in water before. Probably a little more healthy. I'm headed to the store tonight and will cook it tomorrow. I'll post pics as time allows.

Back