• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Firebox placement

djswagg

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my second smoker. The first was a "bandera" type. This one is more of a traditional offset. The first one did ok, but I didn't like how flames would "lick" up into the firebox. So, like a normal Que'r I began to form ideas of what might work for my next smoker. This "next smoker" will be like the one in my profile pic. (Unfortunately, we can't get hold of the guys we built the one in my profile pic for)

I was debating on spacing the firebox about 6" away from the smoke chamber. I've since decided to use baffle plates inside the smoke chamber. Now onto my actual question.... In anyone's experience, If I'm using the plates in the smoke chamber, is it necessary to move the fire box away from the smoke chamber? Or would this dissipate too much heat? :confused:

Just make the firebox a little longer like maybe 2' or so and build your fire at the door end away from the opening to the pit. It only takes a small hot fire on the end to put heat into the cook chamber.

what about using a square tube with holes cut in the side, something like what stumps uses, so the heat and smoke exit each side of the tube, that would protect you from the flames coming in and I would think help even out the heat

Ahhhh, yet another option.

Keep "tuning" plates in also? Or would they not be necessary then?

Your fire should be small and in the middle of the fire box so I'd say your fire box is to small or th fire grate is to high if the flames are licking into the oven. the FB should be 1/3 the volume of the oven at minimum. You can install a baffle plate at the opening and tuning plates to help correct the issue.

That was the issue with the first one we built. Firebox is proportioned correctly on the new one, so it sounds like I should be good to go. Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated

Back