BBQ Weight Loss Journey

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
As some of my brethren know, this year I embarked on a new adventure - to get healthy so I'll be around a long time for my kiddo and his future family. January 19th, 2014 I hit the scales and weighed in around 26 briskets (310lbs)... my back hurt, my knees hurt, feet hurt, blood pressure averaged 140/90 (no bueno)...

We went Paleo in the house (meats, veggies, fruits, nuts - NO PROCESSED foods or breads/pastas)... my wife is from the Philippines, so she kept her rice - could never ask her to give that up.

As of today, I weigh in at 208lbs... that is 102lbs gone... FYI - my wife ways 98lbs.

Reason I am sharing is because people kept telling me that you can loose weight and eat BBQ ... I think I proved them wrong! I tweaked my rubs and sauces to be organic, corn syrup free, low sugar, and more ... plus BBQ does a great job rendering FAT :)

Goal is another 30lbs...

10505613_10152373191299667_7327262148583355086_n_zps02c0b6aa.jpg

Right ON man. Way to go. Very inspiring to see the changes while still eating good food.

Fantastic, and good point on rendering out the fat. I need more BBQ!

Congrats on the loss!

I quit eating processed crap and now I have to work at keeping weight on.

Love me some BBQ!

Freaken awesome man!!!! excellent work :thumb::thumb::thumb:

When you say you stopped eating processed foods was there anything in particular that falls into that category that you stopped eating? I've been looking to shed a couple lbs myself.

I say this semi-humorously, but you should consider writing up your dieting processes and recipe modifications and publishing it as "The Q-Diet." I'll bet there's a market for it. And barbecue is a lot more fun than tofu.

Best wishes as you work toward your goal.

Honestly - no exercise. Basically all the weight loss came from eating healthy and right - weight portions, 5 meals a day (typically BBQ once a day)...

I was going to do an exercise program but some pretty messed up back pain that kept me from doing a lot prevented it. Turns out the back pain was caused my crystallized gallbladder that they removed 6 weeks ago. I start exercise next month ... :)

Wow, great job man! Anything other than Paleo? No working out etc?

Congrats.

I have been meaning to look into this

Is there a website you recommend for info on it?

I see there are several

When we go to the store to shop we keep to the outside ... produce (veggies & fruits), dairy, and meats. No cereals, no breads, no pasta, no canned food, no real sugar. No more sodas, no more energy drinks ...

There has been temptation along the way but the motivation outweighs the urges. Both my parents have passed away due to obesity and poor health... I can't rob my son of me being his father, I won't let that happen.

Kroger has a great little end cap where I get organic / dehydrated banana chips and dark chocolate covered almonds. We get our deli meats cut fresh to avoid nitrates. We buy organic/grass fed/gmo free meats too.

I eat 5 meals that around 5.5oz total each at about 2 hours or so apart. I drink a ton of water.

And for those curious how much we spend - we actually spend less money now than before ... you'd be surprised how much junk food adds up. Example: 1 Monster Energy drink a day is around $8.50 a week or $34 a month. That alone offset the cost for going organic with our meats. Money saved on breads/cookies covered the cost and then some of the fruits and nuts that we eat.

I do get a cheat day but 8 months in I can tell you I have way less cravings!

When you say you stopped eating processed foods was there anything in particular that falls into that category that you stopped eating? I've been looking to shed a couple lbs myself.

Oddly enough I have started too... lots of recipes, photos, and more... told myself to spend a year working on it as I try different things. I will tell you this - I have had some awesome food and I have had some stuff that got spit the H3ll out! :)

I say this semi-humorously, but you should consider writing up your dieting processes and recipe modifications and publishing it as "The Q-Diet." I'll bet there's a market for it. And barbecue is a lot more fun than tofu.

Best wishes as you work toward your goal.

This is the book we started with ... plus my insurance arranged for me to meet with a Food Nutritionist twice a month and with a Food Psychologist to figure out if I had issues that drove me to eat.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Paleo-Customized-Whole-Foods-Lifestyle/dp/1936608758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408643800&sr=8-1&keywords=Paleo"]Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle: Diane Sanfilippo, Bill Staley, Robb Wolf: 9781936608751: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6128fev7vTL.@@AMEPARAM@@6128fev7vTL[/ame]

Congrats.

I have been meaning to look into this

Is there a website you recommend for info on it?

I see there are several

First, congrats GMDGeek you look fantastic.

Here is what I did a few years ago.

For processed foods, my feeling was that I didn't want anything with ingredients that I couldn't pronounce or purchase in a regular grocery store. I tried to stay away from artificial ingredients as well. For example, if I was going to commit to having something sweet with sugar, I would own it and have the product that contained real sugar, I would just eat less of it. My personal, non scientific, probably wrong opinion is that artificial chemicals, sweeteners, stabilizers etc do more harm and good to our bodies.

The processed food industry also manipulates the ever loving **** out of those products to maximize the ratio of salt/sugar/fat so that you keep eating more and more without feeling full. Read the following book if you have time, its an eye opener: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15797397-salt-sugar-fat

All that said, below are a few tips that worked for me (30lbs over the course of a year)

• Mental attitude is important. Don't think of this as "oh man, I'm never going to be able to have that slab of chocolate cake and rack of ribs again". You will, just less of it and not as often (in the beginning anyway).
  • You're not dieting, you're changing your lifestyle. You should be in this for the long haul.
  • Exercise and lots of it. Jogging 5 miles a day, 5 days a week was/is the goal for me
  • Drinking less alcohol and only on the weekends
  • Cutting out snack foods (pretzels, chips, cookies etc)
  • Cutting out snacking between meals.
  • Scaling back desserts to only a few times per week and even then, a low cal ice cream bar or an ounce of good chocolate (I have a sweet tooth)
  • Cutting out soda (diet and regular) and switching to seltzer and/or plain water.
  • Get a side salad instead of fries with that burger

Thats for day to day living. Everything in moderation though :)

For me personally, I now have the will power to every now and then have that 6th or 7th beer and extra half rack of ribs as long as I get back on the wagon the following Monday.

Back