• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

what is your greatest BBQ accomplishment?

chromestacks

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are talking in competition bbq. What is your greatest accomplishment? how long did you compete before you got there? What is the next thing you want to accomplish in the BBQ world? How far do you want to or are you willing to take it?

As for us, our first accomplishment was making it all the way through a KCBS contest with out getting DQ'd! The next was actually placing (not in the same contest). Our latest was getting in the top 10 on 3 of four catagories at the same contest! My next goal is to win GC at a contast. If I were independantly wealthy, I would open a bbq chain, YES, I love Que that much!

this should be an interesting conversation and I look forward to hearing from you

Last edited:
This being my first year of comp BBQ (4 contests) not finishing last in any category and breaking the top half in most of my entries was good enough for me. This year I hope to bump up the expectations.

Without a doubt, the quality time spent with my teenage son!

Come March 1, I am am picking him up at college for the start of his mid-winter break and we are shuffling off to Buffalo to take Chris Hart's BBQ class. It should be yet another great weekend spent together.

Yeah, we get some trophies and ribbons including taking first place in ribs in a contest that Chris Hart GC'ed, but they all pale in comparison.

Having 6 BBQ Sauces and Spices on the market makes me the most proud of my efforts and having alot of winning cooks useing them in comps as well.

Second comp, first call - 1st place chicken. :mrgreen:

Also helped a couple of friends get a third place rib call and reserve grand in a recent comp. I guess that's why I am cooking with them this year.

The most satisfying and yet most humbling BBQ experience I have is cooking for 12 homeless men from the local Rescue Mission at our church every year. I don't do this cook for accolades, but getting a standing ovation and many compliments and handshakes reminds me of the good we can do for others with our talents.

Greatest was my 3rd comp; top 5 in every category and still only RGC'd, but by under 1/10th of a point total.

Last comp was probably my second favorite, no RGC or GC, but I walked in everything (except ribs) including every ancillary (I think there were 9 ancillaries), 3 first places in them, 3 second places... Tied for 4th in pulled pork, but more importantly beat out many previous Memphis In May GC's and category winners... (ie. it was probably the toughest top-to-bottom field I'd ever competed in/with, and tied for 4th). It was a good day.

As a judge, judging Memphis In May was a real joy, but my greatest "accomplishment" was overcoming the overwhelming urge to puke when I was able to gnaw a bite off of a rib one time. I was the only judge at the table either stupid enough or dedicated enough to take those ribs and place them in my mouth. Been there, done that 1 time; never again. Lets just say they were BAD, looked horrendous, smelled almost as bad as they looked, and the taste was, well, it was a pure "spitter". I learned that day that some people have no shame and will turn-in anything...

There are 2 questions here. Purely from a contest standpoint, there have been many, but the singular #1? 1st Place Pork at the AR.

On a personal level? Being on a first name basis with some really great cooks, and knowing which "Big Name BBQ People are actually jerks (there aren't many) masquerading as cooks and not worth my time.

As Jeff said, there are a couple of way to look at this.

Overall I think our biggest "accomplishment" is all of the great friends that we have made through competitions and the Brethren! At every comp we enjoy catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. The awards are cool, but BBQ people are the best!

From an awards point of view I think the accomplishment that means the most to us is taking first place ribs, first place brisket, the Land of Lincoln award for the top Illinois team and RGC at the Illinois State BBQ Championship in Shannon, IL in 2009. What made this special for us first of all is that it was at Shannon, which was one of the oldest competitions anywhere and always brings in a very prestigious field, and second, we cooked next to our first sponsor and great friend, Todd Johns from Plowboys BBQ. Great memories!

Without a doubt, the quality time spent with my teenage son!

Come March 1, I am am picking him up at college for the start of his mid-winter break and we are shuffling off to Buffalo to take Chris Hart's BBQ class. It should be yet another great weekend spent together.

Yeah, we get some trophies and ribbons including taking first place in ribs in a contest that Chris Hart GC'ed, but they all pale in comparison.

I think the best answer has already been logged here. :clap:

I think our greatest competition accomplishment was winning the Perdue National Chicken Championship at the 2011 Safeway National Capital Barbecue Contest. Perdue provided each team with 4 very small whole chickens to use. After butchering them down we had 7 useable thighs and managed to get 6 beautiful thighs cooked and the 1st place chicken call!

A close second was our 6th place call in Chicken at the American Royal Open in 2011 and our 10th place call in Brisket at the American Royal Invitational in 2011.

Moving forward our goal is to finish in the top 25 in TOY standings.

I have two overall that are similar personal and competition.

Personal, I was competing up at Kenosha, WI Grill Games. This was my second solo competition in a solid, solid field of competitiors. My wife and kids came up to visit and stay through awards. I asked my 4 year old daughter that if she heard daddys name called, would she like to go up on stage with me. I head my name called for Chicken and my daughter ran through the crowd before I could move, up on stage, and tapped the moderator to ask her for daddy's trophy. She was so proud of her daddy. She has become my biggest fan.

Competition, Sept. 2011 I walked around Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ trying to figure out if I wanted to get into competition BBQ or not when BillM (Head's Red BBQ) told me to grab a chair and ask questions. I decided the following year to compete in the field of 46 competitiors and won 1st place.

At the end of last season, we were technically done with the comps we'd said we were going to do, but we just didn't want to be done. So we decided to drive south from Indiana to Decatur, AL and do the biggest competition we'd ever done. We ended up getting 4th overall with a 4th place chicken call and a 1st place call in pork. When we got that winning call in pork we couldn't have been more pumped. People were looking at us as we walked up with a look on their face like, "Who the HECK are these guys?!"

That was pretty huge for us to go that far from home, not knowing what regional differences there might be, seeing 78 other teams (which included some real top notch world championship teams) and coming away with 4th place.

Made it into the black one year! That was huge, really. Love it, but it's a very expensive endeavor.

New goal is to complete my master judge requirement. Problem is if I'm at a contest, I'd druther be cooking than eating. I don't think I'll have to cook with a team though!

Throwing away all the temp probes and learning to cook by feel...:thumbup:
Except for chicken...we stick everyone of those suckers...lol!
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Getting disqualified without breaking a single rule on our chicken turn-in and yes we make turn-in with plenty of time to spare.

Any call is a good feeling. Best one to date for us is 12th place chicken at the AR. Hope to hear our name for Grand Champ one of these days.

Every contest is a great contest for spending time with wife and other family members and friends. Keith

Placing 4th in chicken at my first competition. Can't wait to do better this year and attend every competition possible with the same enthusiasm.

Back