Anyone smoke stew meat?

voidecho

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I defrosted some venison yesterday and I'm going to make a pretty typical stew (onions, carrots, potatoes, etc). I decided I wanted to add a little smokiness to the flavor so I diced up the venison, put it on a pan and seasoned with some salt and pepper. On to the weber at a low temp as I'm not really trying to cook the meat, just add some smoke to it. Probably go an hour at the most, then I'll sear the meat, deglaze the pan and pop the Dutch oven in the oven for a few hours.

Anyone else do this? If so, how'd it turn out?

I do this with my pork for chili verde, but I've never done it for a classic meat and potato stew. Hoping the smoke doesn't over power everything.

image.jpg1_zpsjpbrsyzx.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsf820dqg6.jpg

Never tried that but sounds like it would add a new level to the venison stew, which is one of my favorites, go for it and let us know how it came out.

I've done it for a stew and/or pot roast before, but always with a full chuckie, not diced meat. Here's a pot roast I did entirely on the smoker-

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180806

Smoking small pieces of meat like that to temp won't really work well, as they will dry out before they ever really become tender.. Warm or cold smoking them makes sense, but make sure you don't leave them in there too long, as you would be inviting botulism by leaving meat for too long in that danger zone between 40-140.

I actually thought of doing this to enhance a grillades (Cajun) stew
I make.
I bet it tastes great.
And as Shaggy says, make it quick, so I thought Mesquite would be the wood of choice.

Smoked and seared. Sautéing veggies and deglazing pan. Then into the oven.

image.jpg2_zpsezdm0htj.jpg

Turned out great. Added some potatoes and mushrooms near the end. Smoke flavor was noticeable but not overpowering.

Venison was more tender than most beef I've had. Bet it'll be even better tomorrow.

image.jpg1_zpsatl0xgbk.jpg

Very nice!!!

And yes I use smoked and ir grilled meats in chilis and stews.

Back