30 gallon UDS build

elkhorn98

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
2nd UDS and wanted a smaller one for camping. Got a new unlined drum, drilled all my holes, used a torch, and then wire brushed it with a grinder. Went with 4 3\4" holes and one ball valve. Splurged and bought weber handles and 3 exhaust vents. Used lamp rod for a thermo port. Weber charcoal grate and expanded metal for the basket with pizza tray ash catcher. And adjustable shelving racks. Semi gloss high heat paint and high heat clear coat. Need to season it then I'll be ready for action.
20150217_064754_zpsmtg5ywnn.jpg

20150225_133714_zpsufgihvjq.jpg

20150225_133802_zpss2abi3pu.jpg

20150225_133940_zps3wfavj13.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to decide whether to build a 30 or a 55. Will a 30 gallon smoke just as well? Is the only difference the amount of meat you can smoke?

I think the only thing that won't fit is a brisket on the 30 gallon. I wanted the 30 for camping so it will be easier to transport. And I can use it at home for small cooks or as a second smoker.

I think the only thing that won't fit is a brisket on the 30 gallon. I wanted the 30 for camping so it will be easier to transport. And I can use it at home for small cooks or as a second smoker.

Looks great! I have a 30 too. You can cook a brisket on a 30, you just have to fold it in half. After it tightens up in a few hours, you can unfold it. Sometimes you still need to put a stainless bowl under it in the center, but most of the time they fit ok. It's not any different than the guys using the 18.5 WSM.

Are the shelf standards stainless steel? I'm researching parts for a 96 gallon build and want to use adjustable racks. Where did you buy them?

Looks great by the way - perfect idea for camping!

The shelving racks aren't SS but looked to be bare metal. I burned them with a torch just to be safe. I got them at a local home improvement store.

Are the shelf standards stainless steel? I'm researching parts for a 96 gallon build and want to use adjustable racks. Where did you buy them?

Looks great by the way - perfect idea for camping!

They are zinc plated steel.

View attachment 108028

They are also the perfect height for your kids to get into this. Also, I do have to admit I have stolen it because it is one of the greatest spatchcock chicken cookers. Just the right distance from that concentrated heat source. Man I love a good open flame bird.

Last edited:
On my 30 gallon UDS, it was hard to keep temps down, even w/ a water pan or diffuser.

Just a few questions, what's the ball valve for and on the pink one why does it have a pipe comming up the side?

If I was to make something similar would the air vent arrangement on a BGE work at the bottom?

Looks like you know what you are doing. I like the adjustable racks.

Just a few questions, what's the ball valve for and on the pink one why does it have a pipe comming up the side?

If I was to make something similar would the air vent arrangement on a BGE work at the bottom?

What Elkhorn98 did on his is more than ok. When I was building mine for my daughter, safety was my biggest concern. Despite what some may think, she was only 5 in that picture...we grow'em tall in my family. I know it get's much hotter near the bottom than on the top because of the fire basket down there. This allowed me to teach her how to control the air intake for temperature without her burning her hand by the adjusting on the lower portion of the smoker where. No real advantage other than safety for her, peace of mind for me.

30 Gallon

I use both a 30 and 55. The 30 gallon barrel, I have cooked up to 60 lbs of briskets and it was full. You will have to hang your meat on hooks to get enough meat. The only issue is finding the room after you wrap your meat.
The major difference is the 55 will settle down at a lower temp....the 30 has a hard time getting down and staying below 260. I think this is because of the surface area of the 30 vs 55 and the amount of charcoal. We take our 30 with us camping all the time. Also if you are in to using a fan, the smalll barrel is very sensitive to added air and will ramp up.

What Elkhorn98 did on his is more than ok. When I was building mine for my daughter, safety was my biggest concern. Despite what some may think, she was only 5 in that picture...we grow'em tall in my family. I know it get's much hotter near the bottom than on the top because of the fire basket down there. This allowed me to teach her how to control the air intake for temperature without her burning her hand by the adjusting on the lower portion of the smoker where. No real advantage other than safety for her, peace of mind for me.

Ok, am I correct in thinking that the ball valve is used to control air flow to the fire grate?. If so how many do you need. And your idea is not only a good safety feature for children, it's also quite useful for lazy bar stewards!!

Ok, am I correct in thinking that the ball valve is used to control air flow to the fire grate?. If so how many do you need. And your idea is not only a good safety feature for children, it's also quite useful for lazy bar stewards!!

As Cinmur had mentioned, they do get hot quickly so I only use 2. I took the ball valve off the one for something in that picture, which I don't remember why. But generally I have 2 there and once they get to temperature, they hold quite well. But it generally is on the high side. Just start only a few coals and let it slowly get up to temp rather than dump a starter full of them.

Back