• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Memphis in May 2013

Forgive me for taking this thread sideways for a second. Do most teams that enter get accepted? Are your chances better being accepted as Patio Porker? Can Patio Porkers enter wings, sauce etc? This thread has me intrigued enough to start thinking about 2014.

Thanks
Matt

Forgive me for taking this thread sideways for a second. Do most teams that enter get accepted? Are your chances better being accepted as Patio Porker? Can Patio Porkers enter wings, sauce etc? This thread has me intrigued enough to start thinking about 2014.

Thanks
Matt

I know a few teams that have not been accepted. The top 10 of each Pork Category and the winners of each ancillary are auto-accepted, as is the winner of Ms. Piggie Idol.

Patio has alot of the same teams year after year, but there is a lottery for available spots. If you win you have to move up to the main contest. And the person listed as the head cook can not have cooked in contests before. So 40 Patio Teams total every year.

Patio can enter all ancillaries

I am trying to pm TSTP( Neil )but having trouble getting the message to send so I will post here.I live close to Memphis and would be interested in participating.Please contact me.mhawksatmaildotcom.Thanks.

Kingsford Charcoal and Memphis in May International Festival officials announced today an offer that will allow greater access to judging of championship barbecue at the Festival’s annual World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest. The Kingsford Tour of Champions Judging offers non-trained judges an opportunity to judge world class competitive barbecue on-site with select teams and determine who goes home with bragging rights and $2500 in prize money for being the consumer’s favorite.

four shifts: Thursday 2-4 PM or 4-6 PM, Friday 2-4 PM or 4-6 PM. You can sign up for multiple tastings if you want.

Get tix early via MIM website...it will sell out

http://www.memphisinmay.org/default.aspx?p=81203&naid=13097

Acceptance Letter received, Snafu avoided, we are now in a spot on the river!

Now it's time to pay for:
Porto John's - 2
5 - 110 v electric boxes
Tent permit
Fire extinguisher yearly check
T-shirts

We are setting up 4 10ftx20ft tents
One a dedicated kitchen
One a serving and prep area
One a dining area
One a party area w dance floor

We will have a full wooden floor
We will have a full bar w bartenders.
We will have a DJ on Thursday and Friday Night
We will have a blast.

Cant wait til May!

Neil

May is right around the corner and I can't wait. Going to be another great year!

Memphis in May Teams for 2013

GWATNEY CHMAPIONSHIP BBQ TEAM | 10 BONES | REDNECK BAR-B-G EXPRESS | JACKS OLD SOUTH | NOTORIOUS P.I.G. | PURPLE PORK MASTERS | BRYCE BOAR BLAZERS | VICTORY LANE BBQ, LLC | CRISPY CRITTERS | SALTY RINSE | MAC'S SMOKE SHOP | WILD BOAR SMOKERS | WILL-BE-QUE BBQ TEAM | TONY CHACHERE'S CREOLE CRUSADERS | BARBEQUE REPUBLIC | YAZOO'S DELTA Q | WHOLE HOG CAFÉ | CAROLINA TRAVELER | SUAGARFIRE SMOKEHOUSE/SAUSAGEFEST | FIREMAN JOHN'S BBQ | HOG NEBULA | HOGAPALOOZA PIG DIAMONDS | TEAM MANWAGON | PARTY Q | the SHED BBQ &BLUES JOINT | BOARS NIGHT OUT | DOC'S PAINLESS PULLED PORK | BLACK PIG BBQ | COTTON PICKIN PORKERS | SMOKEMASTERS | SLAPJO MAMA BBQ HOG COOKING TEAM | HAWG WILD | COTTON PATCH COOKING CREW | ANNESDALE PORK | PORKSPANKERS | BIG AL AND THE BUTTRUBBERS | NO PORK IN THE CHAMPAGNE ROOM | SUSPICIOUS RINDS | CIGAR CITY SMOKERS | UNCLE RICHIES HILLBILLY BBQ | the TUCKER FAMILY | SYNGERY SMOKERS/ PORK IN THE ROAD | SOUTHAVEN MEATHOGS | SWEET CHEEKS | SPOTLIGHT SMOKERS | SKILLET SHOT | RUB ME TENDER | PROFESSOR PORK & THE RIB RAIDERS | PRIME TYME GRILLERS | BARBECUE JOE | the COUNT BASTIE PORKESTRA | PIG-A-LICIOUS | the BASTEY BOYS | LIP SMACKIN' QUE | HOGWEISER | HALL PASS BBQ | DIRTY HOGS | DEEEZ BUTTS | BUSH HOGS | BROLUMNI BBQ | BOARS R US BBQ TEAM | 4UWEQUE | 225 REDEYE Qs | MOONLIGHT SMOKERS | SMOKIN SPIDERS | PIGS GONE WILD | PBR (PERFECT BUTTS AND RACKS) | SWIGGIN N PIGGIN | MID-SOUTH MAYHAM | SQUEAL STREET BBQ | HOG HEAVEN | HERE FOR THE BEER | AUTO BE GRILLIN | CADILLAC GRILLZ | SLABS A' SMOKIN | SILKY O'SULLIVAN'S | THE SWINOS | SLAB YO' MAMA BBQ | POT BELLIE COOKERS | the OTHER TEAM | THE MED | CENTRAL SMOKERS | PIG COOKERS OF AMERICA | BOSS PIT | TOO SAUCED TO PORK | ALL STAR TEN PIN PORKERS | BIG RIVER BBQ | HIGH LIFE ON THE HOG | TOTALLY BOAR'D | PORK "O" SAURUS BBQ TEAM | CAN DO BBQ TEAM | SYSCO'S CAJUN COOKERS TOO | SSG RIBBERS | NUVA SWINE AND SPINE | RED DAWG PORKERS | CASTLE COOKERS | SMOKE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM | SOUTH PORK | EMILY'S TENNESSEE PRIME | HOGEXPRESS | CONTEMPT OF PORK | ADRIBBERS | MPT SMOKERS | GIVE THE DEVIL HIS QUE | BBQ TEAM | PORK FICTION | HENDRICKS BBQ | PORKSTARS | FERRELL BBQ W/INSPECTOR HOG | DELTA BONES | PIGS IN GIN | 4 PORK HARMONY | GNARLY WINE & SWINE | FIRE HOUSE 5 | SHARP SMOKERS | the DANISH NATIONAL BBQ TEAM | TRANSPORKERS | INTERNATIONAL TEAM | SWINEFELD | FIELD OF PIGS | BIG BUBBA'S BAR-B-Q-N CREW | PARADISE PORKERS | BARN STORMERS BBQ | TANGLED UP IN QUE | BUTT CASSIDY AND THE PORK DANCE KIDS | GRILL AND GRIND | Q-WIGGLY | WILLINGHAM | LVOB | MEAT, DRINK AND BE MERRY | PEYTON PLACE | MOTLEY QUE | the BEEF N' THE CHICKEN | OINKING ON THE RIVER | PERFORMANCE SMOKERS | THREE ALARM SMOKERS | SMOKER'S ANONYMOUS | PIGS IN SPACE | POKER PORKERS | SMOKIN' WITH AN ATTITUDE | LOVE MEAT TENDER | FAT SIDE UP | APORKALYPSE NOW | GREASELAND PORKERS | DON'T BURN THE PIG | CURLY TAIL SMOKERS | LAZY PIG SMOKERS | ZUCKERMANS FAMOUS Q | SMOKIN' ON THE RIVER | P FUNK AND THE FAT BACK ALL-STARS | SERIAL GRILLERS | PIGS O WAR | GETTING PIGGY WITH IT | MEAT MAKERS | SLAB TECHS | the FABULOUS FAULTLINERS | MAGICALLY PIGLICIOUS | PORK QUE | PIG PANDEMONIUM | BORN IN THE QUE S.A. | PIG NATION | BAD BOBS BBQ | DTS "HARLEM XPRESS" BBQ TEAM | PURE PLEASURE PORKERS | PORK & BEAN COUNTERS | SICILAIN SMOKERS | RIBMASTERS | APPLE CITY BARBECUE | DIXIE SWINE | SMOKING DIAMONDS | PRIME TIME BBQ | CASE OF RIBS | FULL METAL PORK | RICKERTY RACK | SMOKE N' BEERS | BABY BACK GRILLER ALLSTARS | the GOOD, THE BAD & THE SWINE | RIBDICULOUS BAR-B-KREWE | BAD PIG BBQ | BRAIZIN' ASSESTS | SMOKIN RAZORBACKS | WORLD FAMOUS LARRY WILLIAMS | NATURAL BORN GRILLERS | RIBERTY | SLOPPY CHOPS | REFINED SWINE | ASDA BUTCHERS SELECTION TEAM | TWYFORD BBQ & CATERING | CAMO COOKERS | LORD OF THE SWINE | RESERVOIR HOGS | HALF-PORKED | MACDADDY MEAT | VOO DOO Q | REBEL ROASTER REVUE | PARROTHEAD PORKERS OF HOGARITAVILLE | SWINE & DINE | RED HOT SMOKERS | YEAH-I-DO COOK'N CREW | PEG LEG PORKERS | PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF SWINA | PLANET BARBEQUE, INC | NORWEGIAN NATIONAL BARBECUE TEAM | HOG WILD COMPETITION TEAM | BABY BACK STABBERS | the BEST LITTLE BOARHOUSE IN MEMPHIS | SOW LUAU | PAGES PIG PEN | KILL'EM AND GRILL'EM | BUCKEYE BBQ GRILLERS | BIG BOB GIBSON BAR-B-Q | LILLIE'S Q | PORK ME TENDER | FOSSIL FUELED PORKERS | CROSSTOWN NEIGHBORHOOD ASSC. | MARTEN TRANSPORT | KILLER HOGS | UBONS BBQ OF YAZOO | the FLYING PIGS | QUALITY FINE SWINE | BLACKJACK BARBECUE | CITY HOGS | the GRANDMASTERS OF COOKING DISASTERS | the PORK UNIVERSITY | the CHI-TOWN COOKERS | SHOATS & SKINS | the MOODY QUES | BROWN CHICKEN BROWN COW | BOARDDELLO'S | SWEET SWINE O'MINE | BIG HATT | the SMOKIN SULTANS | PIG STARS | the HOGFATHER | the NOT READY FOR SWINE TIME PORKERS | SNOUTKAST | RIGHT ON Q | BUSHWOOD COUNTRY CLUB | HOGGYSTYLE | the PIT & THE PIGULUM II | the BARBECUE EXPERIMENT | BARE BONES | RANUCCI'S BIG BUTT BBQ | ASAP | CAPTAIN JACK | BOAR HOUSE SMOKERS | HEAVY HOG SMOKERS | UNCLE SWAMPY'S BBQ | WEEKEND AT PORKY'S

If Brethren on teams want to chime in with their Team Names and Booth numbers I will create a map for all of us showing each others booths.

For those of you teams that have not been in MIM before...

The “Crap they don’t tell you about Competing in Memphis in May” list…

Let’s start with the planning, since getting in is a matter of turning in the application…and I assume that has already happened
1. Cooks meeting - first timers - go if you can…great way to network
You can add ancillaries, wed. night tickets, and 3 day wristbands up until cooks meeting in april
2. Patio Porkers get 5 - 24 hour bands
3. Regular Teams get 15-24 Hour bands

Larger teams (like mine) will buy your extra 24 hour bands…(good way to recoup some costs or to get your kegs or a case of pork paid for)

4. 3 day wristbands are only for gate hours Thurs-Sat
5. Big hog package is a waste of money for a small team…
6. Cattlemans offers free sauce to teams…sign up for it, get the maximium amount…free stuff is good stuff, and if you sign up for the max, that’s like 200 dollars worth of free bbq supplies.

The Contest

1. If you have a large trailer you want in your team booth get there the Saturday before the contest starts because once the fences go up it is dang near impossible to get that hoss into a muddy rutted out spot.

2. Put up your fence as soon as you get there - If you do not, then your empty spot will be used as a parking lot, a turn around, and a way to put a trailer into the spot behind yours. THIS SUX. The booth gets all rutted out and very nasty with mud. So prevention is the best policy

3. BRING some kind of floor. You will thank me for this. They don’t call it Memphis in Mud for nothing. It has to sit above the ground. No wood chips, plywood directly on the ground, etc. We use pallets then hammer plywood over em…cheap and easy. I say bring b/c the rental company charges 28 bucks per 4ftx4ft square of flooring.

4. Get the Fire Marshall permit tag as soon as you can on Monday or Tues…DO NOT FORGET…it will be absolute HELL trying to track these guys down come Wednesday

5. Bring your own grounding wire kit for your tent, if you don’t the electricians will charge you for a kit..AND INSTALLATION…if you bring your own they will hook you in no charge

6. WATCH your team boundaries…there are some teams that will move paint and stakes to get a bigger area. I won’t name names, but it is rude and sh**ty to do. Measure your spot, then drive BIG stakes into the ground at the corners…

7. Count on electric to not be hooked up until Tuesday…it usually gets hooked up before, but there have been snafu’s in the past. Make sure you have an
alternative plan for meat, tools, light, etc

8. RENT A PORT-O-JOHN, and put it in the BACK of your booth. You can thank me later for this. If your crapper is in the front people will just walk into your booth and use it without permission…not cool. If you don’t have one you will regret it when you go to relive yourself only to find overflowing crappers from the 100,000 people that used them before you. Plus all the drunks= PUKE in the public ones…NASTY

9. Beer sales end early by 9pm everyday…PLAN FOR THIS. Wed is like 6pm and Sat is 7 pm…Remember to stock up or you will be SOL…

10. Wednesday is the last day to load in…7am - NOON Vehicles must leave by 3pm…those of you driving in from points unknown This is the ABSOLUTE LAST time to load big stuff in…otherwise you will be hoofing it in from ½ a mile away…that is no exageration…½ a mile at least carrying stuff.

11. GET A WAGON - this will save you LOTS of heartache. From kegs to meat, to the 2 kids you can haul everything you need in them. A must for MIM.

12. You will need to have Blockers and runners for your entries. The crowds are thick and you will need 2 or 3 person teams to get your stuff to the judging quickly and safely.

13. You need to bring a fire extinguisher with a CURRENT INSPECTION TAG ATTACHED. They will not give you a fire permit without one.

14. All propane tanks must have a holder…a milk crate is perfect for this, without a holder…no permit
AND THE BIGGEST RULE
If things go wrong with your pork entry put the beautiful portions in the blind box. (remember pork entries can have NO garnish) You have to learn to B.S. and sell your onsite judge on your product. You can talk your way out of a burnt looking rib or shoulder to an onsite judge, you can’t explain anything to the blind judges….

I think that’s all my tips…anyone else got anything?

My wife and I are going to be hanging out with PLANET BARBEQUE, INC. This will be our first time and we can't wait!

Can anyone tell me turn in times including beef/ancillaries please? I am helping a friend to prepare a corporate team from the U.K. Thanks.

My wife and I will be in the crowd this year. Definitely going to write down team names and lot numbers so we can come by and visit for a moment.

My fiancee and soon to be mother in law and myself had a BLAST last year hanging out with everyone. It was about a bazillion degrees but it was still an awesome time.

Unfortuantly, we won't be able to make it this year since we're getting married on the 11th and will be in Jamaica.

Therefore, yes, I hate to inform you all ... there will be NO cream colored ash grey Brethren shirt at MIM this year :tsk:

Good luck to all the teams.

Back