• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brining,Injecting,or Rubbing

milehigh

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Smoked a shoulder yesterday to do up some pulled pork for my Dad's 90th birthday on thursday. I brined it overnight ala Alton Browns recipe of water,salt, and molasses. The sampling i did while pulling (nobody else does this, right?) was outstanding!
Do you normally brine, inject, or just use rub on your butts?

Thanks
Paul

i usually only rub my butts & let them sit in frige overnight & thats it, but the one time we injected them they were pretty good with flavor thru all the meat without adding any extra anything at time of pull. I would like to start injecting more often.

In the brine overnight Ron. Seen the recipe on the virtual weber site.

Paul

Been using AB's salt/molasses/water bring at a few shows, it hasn't fared well, yet.

I've done his Brine every time I have done butts (5 times...still a rookie). The pork comes out really flavorful and a beautiful bark. I wonder if the molasses makes it a little bitter though...

I use to brine mine- took to days. Stopped doing that when I started to compete. They were good. I now use Bob Gibsons injection and rub. It also comes out good

I have never brined a butt... it seems like you would have to brine for a long time to get much penetration. I regularly inject mine however.

I brine for about 6-8 hrs, just like my turkeys. Seems like the brine get's in pretty deep in that period of time.

I brine for about 6-8 hrs, just like my turkeys. Seems like the brine get's in pretty deep in that period of time.

That's about how long I let mine go, on the molasses, its not bitter at all. Do you just use water and salt, or do you add something else?

The best way to describe the taste on the one i did was "tangy" Combination of salt,molasses, and apple wood for smoke i think. I also used Apple "Cider" during foiling that may have added to the tang. Might have to try injecting. Any favorite injection recipes?

Thanks
Paul

That's about how long I let mine go, on the molasses, its not bitter at all. Do you just use water and salt, or do you add something else?

Just water salt and molasses. I think maybe it's just the color that throws me off a bit.

Back