First reverse sear ribeye

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So tonight I did my first reverse sear steak. I grilled a ribeye along with some grilled purple potatoes and some grilled bacon wrapped asparagus. I was shooting for the steak to be cooked to medium rare but it went slightly past that and ended up at medium. But it was evenly cooked and consistent so that was good. What was great was the flavor! Wow, probably the best steak Ive eaten! I was nearly done before I realized I hadn't used any A1 or Heinz 57. That was a first for me.
I seasoned the steak with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little yard bird. Did the same with the asparagus but had olive oil on to hold the seasoning. I boiled the purple potatoes until almost done with about a table spoon of Zatarans crab boil for flavor. When cooled I sliced and added the same seasonings mentioned above. I put the potatoes on when the steak was done and resting. Let me know what you think. :shocked: :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys!
Hey can someone tell me how you separate pics with writing? I've seen people discuss each picture prior to the picture. All I know how to do is load them and post.
Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys!
Hey can someone tell me how you separate pics with writing? I've seen people discuss each picture prior to the picture. All I know how to do is load them and post.
Thanks

Never mind I figured it out.....:wacko: :doh:

Great lookin' steak (great marbling for choice) and meal.

Thanks peeps! I was wondering about the marbling. I really had no idea of what I was looking for. Lol. I think I have a better idea now that I've cooked it. It was great tasting but I think some of the fat was a tad on the thick side towards the middle. I'll look for some thinner fat in the marbling on my next one. Like I said though this could have been the best steak I've had. Definitely the best I've personally made!

Thanks peeps! I was wondering about the marbling. I really had no idea of what I was looking for. Lol. I think I have a better idea now that I've cooked it. It was great tasting but I think some of the fat was a tad on the thick side towards the middle. I'll look for some thinner fat in the marbling on my next one. Like I said though this could have been the best steak I've had. Definitely the best I've personally made!
Yeah, there were some thick bands of fat that can easily be cut around if you choose, but the small strands of fat intermingled with the meat, that is gorgeous and THAT is what you want to look for in the next one!

Nice looking meal!

Great lookin' steak (great marbling for choice) and meal.
It does look like a prime steak and could be one. I get my meat from Kroger and I have seen the take prime steaks and put them in the choice slot to make room.

Reverse Sear convert

Low and slow to start a steak? That went against everything I believed in but once I tried it a few months back - it changed my life. Did a top sirloin last night, not as well marbled as your rib steak and mine too was a tad overcooked, even though I used a digital thermometer. I let it get to 130F before I started the sear. Should have hit the heat at about 120 I think but it was still delicious and next time I'll adjust from the lesson learned. That bacon wrapped asparagus you did looks pretty amazing and I bet it keeps it from getting grill dried. Have you tried this with a smoke packet of mesquite or other wood chips?

Low and slow to start a steak? That went against everything I believed in but once I tried it a few months back - it changed my life. Did a top sirloin last night, not as well marbled as your rib steak and mine too was a tad overcooked, even though I used a digital thermometer. I let it get to 130F before I started the sear. Should have hit the heat at about 120 I think but it was still delicious and next time I'll adjust from the lesson learned. That bacon wrapped asparagus you did looks pretty amazing and I bet it keeps it from getting grill dried. Have you tried this with a smoke packet of mesquite or other wood chips?

When you do it again pull it at about 110-115. I pulled mine at 115, opened the bottom vent wide open to get the fire hot again and put it back on for the sear. The sear is where you gotta be careful. I believe I let it go about 4 seconds to long...lol. I was using my instant thermometer and was wanting it off at 135 but it went to 140 pretty quick. It's just something that'll take a few practice runs to get it down.
I had a few chunks of pecan in the coals. Gave a very good flavor. Mesquite would probably be good too.
Good luck next time you give it a try!

Great job! Not into the purple spuds but that's just me. Really likin the "bacon tie" on the asparagus too. Reverse searing is the only way to go for steaks and burgers. You're sure to be a Convert from now on!

Yeah, there were some thick bands of fat that can easily be cut around if you choose, but the small strands of fat intermingled with the meat, that is gorgeous and THAT is what you want to look for in the next one!

Yeah that is a great slice of beef there! You did a fine job serving it up, but i think that steak would have still been good even after two hours in a deep fryer. That was perdie:thumb:

When you do it again pull it at about 110-115. I pulled mine at 115, opened the bottom vent wide open to get the fire hot again and put it back on for the sear. The sear is where you gotta be careful. I believe I let it go about 4 seconds to long...lol. I was using my instant thermometer and was wanting it off at 135 but it went to 140 pretty quick. It's just something that'll take a few practice runs to get it down.
I had a few chunks of pecan in the coals. Gave a very good flavor. Mesquite would probably be good too.
Good luck next time you give it a try!

you mean you pull it off the grill and let it rest ? ( waiting on the grill to get hot ? ) could you do indirect , then to direct for the searing part with out having to pull it and wait to throw back on ? I luv mid rare steaks with a nice hard sear on them , don't want to make something simple and delicious harder than it needs to be.... ( kis )

Back