Built a BBQ burn barrel

KingRanch450

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Did a quick burn barrel build. I'm going to try this to see if it gives me a cleaner burning fire in my offset. Wasn't much $ and you can't have enough BBQ toys and it will be nice in the winter to stand around it for warmth!

Attachments

• burnbarrel1.jpg
    burnbarrel1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 360
  • burnbarrel3.jpg
    burnbarrel3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 353
  • burnbarrel2.jpg
    burnbarrel2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 352
  • burnbarrel4.jpg
    burnbarrel4.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 352
Thanks for this, I'm going to duplicate the same setup. I had the idea in my head and this visual helped me on exactly what I want. I need something to keep coals/wood burning to add to my smoker as needed.

I'd put some sort of chain fireplace screen on the front opening if you can. I assume you are putting splits on the rebar and shoveling the coals that drop though as the splits burn down from the opening? Would hate for a large piece to drop down and roll out as you are standing there and it burn ya or even when you step away and it roll into something flammable.

I'd put some sort of chain fireplace screen on the front opening if you can. I assume you are putting splits on the rebar and shoveling the coals that drop though as the splits burn down from the opening? Would hate for a large piece to drop down and roll out as you are standing there and it burn ya or even when you step away and it roll into something flammable.

I thought about trying to put some kind of expanded metal over the opening for that

Yeah it does get cold in Tx, Fort Wayne aint got a monopolyGuess there's just different definitions on cold

View attachment 100782

I hope you could make it out the driveway blu! :laugh:

About 20 below with -50 windchill... even the dogs didn't want to walk on the ground because the ice crystals in the snow stun the bottom of their paws.

Last edited:
I guess I dont understand why you even need this

seems like a waste of wood

I just preheat my splits until they are ready to burst into flames then add them to the fire

I don't need it
I want it..... and I'd like to see if it allows me to burn a cleaner fire
That is the BEST way to cook Q hands down!:thumb: You will NEVER have dirty smoke using that method, the most legendary of the old time pit masters used it and it's now a dying art!:wink:
I've posted this several times but I love this Youtube video of Ms Tootsie at Snow's. She does it the old way and her Q is considered by many to be the best in Texas!:-D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lryHCMyNwE[/ame]

Last edited:
Back when I was a young'n, I learned to cook on a Santa Maria grill, and they old fellers used a concrete water culvert section, that looked a lot like that burn barrel, except it was concrete and very old. It worked great, they burned down the red oak in the kiln, and we (me, actually) moved the hot coals to the grill unit. It was direct fired, also made from concrete culvert, and you (me) shoveled the coals into the bottom through a hole.

Oops, yes it worked great, and a useful addition to the setup.

Oh, and if you leave the shovel in the coals in the kiln, it will light the handle on fire

Snows isn't shoveling coals into the offsets it's the other pits that's going on in. Now nothing wrong with that but some pits just require it.

What an awesome way to not need aluminum foil. Super traditional and super awesome, can't wait to see what you cook

I burn wood down in the cinder block pit and that would be perfect for that. Unfortunately I've yet to use it this year.

Back