Need bacon help.

2dumb2kwit

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK, bacon guru's......I need a little help.

I ran into an old friend today, and was telling him about making my own bacon. Well, it turns out that he has some strange food allergies and can not eat bacon. The problem is the sugar.

He told me, that while visiting a friend in NY he ran across some "sugar-free" bacon in a store, but has not been able to find any locally. He told me that if I could make some sugar-free, he'd be a good customer. hahaha.

Well, I don't want to sell him any....but i would love to give him some. How cool would it be, to be able to give an old friend the gift of being able to eat bacon again, after many years without?

Any way, here is my question.......can I just leave out the sugar, from a cure like Yetidaves, or will that mess up the curing process? And if so, is there a way to get around the problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sugar does nothing for the curing process other than make the bacon taste sweet. You can certainly omit it.

I'm waiting for in put from more qualified bretheren for the official answer.

. When I was making my first batch they gave me a lot of input--I believe one of the qualified butchers said that the cure and salt were all that was chemically necessary and the sugar was just to cut the harsh salt flavor.

Ya, you don't need to use sugar.

The sugar will offset the salt taste.

Just test fry a piece before smoking. If its too salty soak in water for awhile.

That is correct. The sugar is there primarily to help balance the flavor. The salt and pink salt are the only items you really need to cure.

You can experiment for different flavors in lieu of sugar.. Like using garlic, allspice, onion, pepper, etc to get a much more savory bacon. I've also used sriracha, molasses, etc. the possibilities are endless, as long as your salt levels are in line. You could probably even use a sugar substitute if you find sugar free bacon lacking

Check with him to make sure his allergy is to sugar and not High Fructose Corn Syrup which is typically used in the stitch pumps in commercial bacon production. If there is any type of sweetener he is able to use like turbinado sugar, maple syrup, or molasses you could use that.

As indicated by others above, the sugar only help to cut some of the saltiness of the finished product by balancing the flavors.

Sugar can be omitted, however you cannot cut back on the salt. The salt is what helps the cure to migrate into the cells of the meat for a proper cure.

You can add concentrated fruit juice like apple and/or orange to the water to add a little sweetness and help to mellow some of the saltiness of the cure. Also be sure to soak the bacon after the curing process in fresh water for a few hours, even repeating a few times. This will also help to reduce the amount of salt retained in the meat cells.

Also small amounts of spices like Allspice, Pickling Spice, Ground Celery Seed, and Caraway Seed can add additional flavor and a hint of sweetness to help balance the salt flavor as well.

Thanks everybody. Y'all have answered my questions. (And given me some more ideas.)

I knew I could count on you guys. Now I just need to check with my friend, to see about any other things that he needs to avoid, so I don't add something else that will hurt him.

Thanks again.

Update

I finally got some sugar free bacon done and took it to my friend, today. I cut a few pieces and cooked them, so that he and another friend of mine, that he works with, could taste it, when i dropped it off. It wasn't hot, when they got to try it, but they both loved it.

I thought the bacon ended up on the salty side, but he said that he wouldn't change anything about it. (And he is the one it's for.) The other friend agreed with me, that it was on the salty side.....while he was wolfing down a few more pieces. He still liked it......a lot.

Any way, I just wanted to thank those of you who helped answer my questions. You made it possible for someone to have bacon, that otherwise was having to do without.:thumb:

(It ended up being 6.5 pounds of bacon. I wonder how long that will hold him. ) Hahaha

Update

I finally got some sugar free bacon done and took it to my friend, today. I cut a few pieces and cooked them, so that he and another friend of mine, that he works with, could taste it, when i dropped it off. It wasn't hot, when they got to try it, but they both loved it.

I thought the bacon ended up on the salty side, but he said that he wouldn't change anything about it. (And he is the one it's for.) The other friend agreed with me, that it was on the salty side.....while he was wolfing down a few more pieces. He still liked it......a lot.

Any way, I just wanted to thank those of you who helped answer my questions. You made it possible for someone to have bacon, that otherwise was having to do without.:thumb:

What did you change?
1) Omit sugar only.
2) Substitute with another sweetener.
3) Soak in water.

Glad to see it made him happy! You're a good friend!
Mmmmmmmm Bacon!!

What did you change?
1) Omit sugar only.
2) Substitute with another sweetener.
3) Soak in water.

Glad to see it made him happy! You're a good friend!
Mmmmmmmm Bacon!!

All I did different, was omit sugar.
If I do another batch without sugar, I'd probably soak it a little while, so it's not quite as salty.
(Not long, mind you. Just a little.)

The sugar also helps the colour of the final product a bit, but yeah you can just leave it out :thumb: Also you can vary salt levels anywhere between 2.5 and 3.5% - try 2.5% if you're not adding the sugar. You shouldn't have to soak

Back