Need advice for a Boy Scout cook

Dave M

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi Brethren,

I've volunteered to cook pulled pork for a troop reunion. The estimate is 113 people, 125 to be safe. Meal to be served at 5pm next Sunday. This is my largest cook to date where I've been in charge of all the details, so I could use some advice.

Other people will be bringing corn on the cob, ramen noodle coleslaw, watermelon, and dutch oven peach cobbler for desert.

I don't have freezer space for that much pork so I'm going to bring it hot out of the smokers to church where it will be pulled by a team of volunteers.

Right now I'm thinking 10 butts, and because I don't want to be late I'm going to give myself 15 hours of cook time. That means starting the fires at around 12:30am and loading the pork into them at 2am. If they come off early they will be double wrapped and put into pre-heated coolers wrapped in towels.

The smokers are one UDS and two 18.5" wsm's.

I will bring sauce on the side and buns. How many buns would you bring for that much pork? How much sauce? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Last edited:
Having done several church cooks, we usually get a couple bags of dinner rolls from Costco or Sam's Club. They are smaller than burger buns, compliment the meat flavor better, tend to be more moist, and you get a lot more for your buck. I think there are around 30-40 dinner rolls in a $5 bag. Last two cooks we got 5 bags and have had a few rolls left over.

Sounds about right. I did 8 butts avg 8-9 pounds each for a graduation party of 150. But I had chicken quarters to supplement also. Your time frame looks good. I always give myself extra time to let the meat cook till I know it's done and ready and not stress myself. Those things hold in a good cooler forever and I think they just get better with a good 2 hour rest. Good luck and make sure you post some pics.

If the pork is the only protien figure 1 lb per person uncooked weight so 113 lb of pork butts should feed 125 hungry boys.

Hey Dave, if you'd prefer to use one of my UDS's instead of 2 WSM's. just let me know. If that will make things easier for you.

Hi Tom,

Thanks much for the offer. I had considered asking you in the beginning, then an 18.5 WSM popped up on CL and I jumped on it. If I don't use it, my wife will kill me. :tongue:

> Need advice for a Boy Scout cook

I would imagine they're a little scrawney and skinny, but if you inject them just right, perhaps a nice simple salt n pepper rub, they'll probably cook up nice.

Hi Tom,

Thanks much for the offer. I had considered asking you in the beginning, then an 18.5 WSM popped up on CL and I jumped on it. If I don't use it, my wife will kill me. :tongue:

Bless you buying a WSM just to feed hungry Scouts :thumb:

Need advice for a Boy Scout cook
I would imagine they're a little scrawney and skinny, but if you inject them just right, perhaps a nice simple salt n pepper rub, they'll probably cook up nice.
That was my first take - "Why do ya wanna cook a Boy Scout?"

I would try and shoot for a 2 pm finish time. You can hold all the butts in a cooler for several hours. It will also give the meat time to rest. This will also give you some cushion if things don't go as planned. If time get tight and the butts are not getting done. It is ok to finish them in the oven.

Gah, sorry to be the guy who abandons his thread. I was travelling last week.

Ok, the cook starts Saturday around 1am after feedback. I've got 16 butts on reserve at the local market, they sell the nice 2 butt cryo's and have them on sale this weekend for $1.99. I'll keep you updated! :)

Boy I wish my Butts only took 15 hours...of course I put 2 gallons of cold Beans under them and my cooks was 17 hrs at 225.

Thanks for helping support one of the good things still left in this world...kids need more outdoors time!:thumb:

Back