Wild black cherry tree wood for smoking?

jkalach

Reaction score
I just had to take down a wild black cherry tree that had seen its better days. I'm keeping the wood for the fireplace and firepit, but was wondering if anyone has ever used this stuff for smoking. Thanks.

Jim

33763 can use some, too. I'll build a shed, yeah, that's it!!

It'll make some fantastic que. Just let it season a bit.

Thanks for the replies. This is not a traditional cherry tree. It's wild black cherry. The cherries are really dark and small. They almost look ornamental. The tree had some kind of disease and was dropping leaves really early and not producing much fruit.

No idea about the shape of the tree or the effect on the wood, but I've heard that wild cherry is the BEST cherry for smoking with.

Thankfully, my dad cut one down for me just last week....and thankfully, his and mom's Grand Marquis has a GIANT trunk. :-D

yep, thats the same stuff Im using. grows at my folks.

If it has a very slight red tinge to the wood color its good. I use it almost exclusively these days. Wild Black Cherry is all over the place here.

2qm28mr.jpg

This thread is depressing. A few years ago, before I started cooking with wood, I had six nice sized wild cherry trees chopped down stumps removed and all and hauled off of my property. :sick:

This thread is depressing. A few years ago, before I started cooking with wood, I had six nice sized wild cherry trees chopped down stumps removed and all and hauled off of my property. :sick:

Ha! And I had just the opposite happen a few years ago. I had a dead pine tree removed from my backyard, and payed the guy an extra few bucks to take down a perfectly healthy wild cherry near it so I could have the wood!

Organic wild black cherry wood has been my choice for about three years now. I simply love it. The sad part is I don't have trees so I actually have to pay for it :sad:

YOU must NOT use this!!! It is deadly to the US, those of us living North of 60 however can handle it.

Be danged how to get it through customs though.

On the serious side I got wild black cherry from BC and it is one of my total favorites for ribs (if not the ultimate) and skinless turkey breasts are to die for it seems.

When I come back from Oregon this fall through BC we're going to hit some of the wild trees. I need about 80 lbs or so.

great wood. I happen to have several black cherries on my property that need to come down. anyone in central ohio is welcome to it , as I have way more then I can use.

Back