Iowa Skinnies

Whitch do you like best Iowa Skinnies or grilled chicken

• Iowa skinnies

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Grilled chicken sandwitches

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
I've never had an Iowa skinny that was called that but any fried pork sammich is better than any grilled chicken. Especially if it is white meat chicken.

Last edited:
That poll was an easy answer for me. A pork tenderloin sandwich is a staple around here.

Grew up in Iowa. Never heard them called that. Reading the title of the thread I had flashbacks to the girl I dated in high school.:wink:

For the record I have had lots of these sammies and they are delicious. Definitely would choose pork over chicken. Casey's used to have a good pork Sammie at lunchtime.:thumb:

My Iowegeon wife is a pulled pork tenderloin sandwich connoisseur. Never heard of an Iowa skinny.

I grew up in Central Illinois and these sandwiches were served at every restaurant in town, but I have never heard the term Iowa Skinny. Whatever you call them though, they rule :rockon:

One of the few things I miss abut Iowa. Those were the standard bar food and most any bar worth anything had the pork tenderloin sandwich on their menu.
But, I see lettuce and tomato?, that wrong! Onions, mustard, ketchup and pickle only. Don't forget the Maid-Rite sandwiches and pan fried morel mushrooms!

Last edited:
We just call them tenderloins around here. I had some friends from Alabama up deer hunting and made them some fresh cut from the loin and hand tenderized. You'd of thought those guys had died and gone to heaven!

Being an Iowa boy all my life I have never heard this term before.. Always was a breaded tenderloin and one of my fav to try every place I go.

I started to feel stupid being born and raised in Iowa, and not knowing this term. :p

But tenderloins are awesome. Probably the best form of pork, including bacon. (maybe)

Spent the first 22 years of my life in Iowa, never heard them called that. Always get some when I go home, best sandwich invented. Never understood why they didn't spread out of a small area in the midwest .

Same here, never heard them called skinnies. Pork Tenderloin sandwiches are one of the major food groups in Iowa.

Just made a big batch this afternoon. Of course I had to try one. Pickle, onion, mustard, no ketchup. I'll find some pictures when I get home.

There's a difference between the typical pork tenderloin and the Iowa Skinny. The Iowa Skinny is pounded very thin and fried quickly to make it more crispy than a regular pork tenderloin.

I've had some amazing breaded tenderloins, but I still haven't found one to match the ones my mother makes. I've even done them with her standing over me and telling me what to do. Still not as good.

I grew up in Central Illinois and these sandwiches were served at every restaurant in town, but I have never heard the term Iowa Skinny. Whatever you call them though, they rule :rockon:

Also, from central IL (Decatur) and agree they were served everywhere. We simply called them a tenderloin sandwich.

Back