berkshire pork trial

offshore_SoLA

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What are yalls thoughts on berkshire pork? I'm debating on buying into berkshire and using these exclusively.

I use wagyu and prime briskets from Nebraska and figured I should offer a higher end pork at the same time.

Honestly, I'm not a commodity pork or beef fan. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars for farm raised protein ...

2rr88ec.jpg

2gxhc36.jpg

ofc my favorite - STL Ribs
eg3kfd.jpg

100% wagyu brisket grade 6-7
o0w574.jpg

It does say Heritage. But that could be a marketing tool. If it is actually old Genetic Pork you'll like it much better. If it's newer Genetics not sure you'll see a lot of difference. Should be more flavorful and better marbling. So much Marketing and breeding went into "The Other White Meat" Marketing program.

heritage pork

Buy from a reliable source and you'll be surprised at how much better it tastes. I buy from a coop of producers that don't use confinement procedures. Happy piggers taste better no matter what the breed.

This is on the money. You have the effect of the breed, which may be more or less fatty, of more or less robust flavor, and inclined to more pig in different sections (like bacon pigs, for instance).

But even more important is their living conditions - exercise, foraging etc.

The woman we used to get our animals from used to say "We've very clear why these animals are here - to be eaten. But we're going to make sure they have the best piggie or bovine life they can".

Her meat was always top-notch.

Buy from a reliable source and you'll be surprised at how much better it tastes. I buy from a coop of producers that don't use confinement procedures. Happy piggers taste better no matter what the breed.

This is on the money. You have the effect of the breed, which may be more or less fatty, of more or less robust flavor, and inclined to more pig in different sections (like bacon pigs, for instance).

But even more important is their living conditions - exercise, foraging etc.

The woman we used to get our animals from used to say "We've very clear why these animals are here - to be eaten. But we're going to make sure they have the best piggie or bovine life they can".

Her meat was always top-notch.

Yep...
I raise pork, a lot depends on their living conditions and feed. A happy pig is a healthy, tasty pig.

I agree with the above. But old genetics vs the "other white meat" marketing is much much better. Short legged Birkshires are really good. Or Old Spot x with short legged is even better. Duroc has the flavor bead out of it. But, feed and activity also play a big part. But starting with a Heritage Breed gets you to a new level when the rest of the stars align.

I'm totally unaware of any heritage pork producers anywhere in southern Louisiana unfortunately. I was raised in Illinois where scrap fed pasture hogs (pets) were a way of life...until industrialized pork came along and bankrupted nearly every hog farmer I knew. I partially blame the Walmarts of the world and the mentality that retail ideology entails .... All to shave a few dimes off the grocery bill.

I'm in contact with an organic farmer in Nebraska... Raises Scottish highlanders on whey... But is totally unreliable :(

I'm totally unaware of any heritage pork producers anywhere in southern Louisiana unfortunately. I was raised in Illinois where scrap fed pasture hogs (pets) were a way of life...until industrialized pork came along and bankrupted nearly every hog farmer I knew. I partially blame the Walmarts of the world and the mentality that retail ideology entails .... All to shave a few dimes off the grocery bill.

I'm in contact with an organic farmer in Nebraska... Raises Scottish highlanders on whey... But is totally unreliable :(

I remember that well. My Uncle was one of the largest Hog farmers in Wi when that happened. He had farms outside of Madison Wi in the country communities. There is a guy in North Dakota that raises, sells and also has a meat market on his farm. He has old genetic Birshire I believe. Might be worth some googling. Many farmers in the 1930' forward crossed Birshire to higher litter breeds like old spot. Trying to maintain 75% Birkshire. Birkshires have smaller litters. About 9. Seems the Old Spot was a great cross. Much of the same type of meat, flavor and marbling. So it didn't take away from the Birshire much. And yes it's to bad the flavor was bread out of them. Much the same has been done to the black Angus in the Beef world. I been eating Old Genetic Registered Herefords lately for beef. Very rich, buttery smooth and real beefy.

Back