Red oak vs white oak

Hunterwray42

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Is there a diffrence in taste how does each burn? Or is there a diffrence? Thank yall

Red Oak produces a slightly "sweeter" taste than White Oak. Not that it's actually sweet, but it is sweeter if that makes sense. Pound for pound you will get a longer burn time out of White Oak. When it comes to White vs Red, I have no preference. There taste is very similar and I love them both. The average Joe Q probably could tell the difference in a blind taste test. However a very astute tongue can detect the subtle difference.

I have both red and white here. White is stronger smoke then red. Both work good on anything in my opinion

Thabks for the input how do you like your shirley fab pit? I'm deffinetly looking at one for the future!

i have not noticed any difference at all

As long as both woods are seasoned I can't tell a difference in the taste of the food cooked over them. I love pork and beef as well cooked over any kind of oak.

I have Pin, Black, Red and White Oak on our farm and I have used them all. The White Oak seems to burn a little hotter and has a little stronger smoke flavor, but the rest are about the same for me

I have a few of what they call water oak on my property. Do they fall in the red oak family?

I have a few of what they call water oak on my property. Do they fall in the red oak family?

If the leaves have rounded lobes its in the white oak family, pointed lobes are the red oak family. I'm not real familiar with water oaks but I believe i remember them from my dendrology classes as being in the white oak family

https://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Here's a chart that ranks the North American trees by their btu content. The oaks are fairly high on the list. As for smoking, some red oaks can have a funky odor when they are green, especially pin oak. That odor goes away once the wood is seasoned. I don't notice all that much difference in the smoke of various oaks, they all work for me! Oak does take a long time to season though, a typical 18" long by 4"-6" thickness split that I use in my woodstove will take about 2 years of split and stacked drying time to get down below 20% moisture, smaller pieces season faster, oak doesn't really season at all until it's split.

I've been using primarily red oak since I got the Lang a couple of months back, and have been very happy with the results. Great with beef, and was surprised how much I enjoyed the flavor of my pork and chicken using red oak.

I use red oak that I get from my property . To me it has a fragrant smell to it that is very distinct. Love it on beef or pork.

Back