Pizza Stones, BGE vs Sur La Table vs Rest Supply?

Jukas

Reaction score
So I've been looking for a pizza stone for my BGE. The official BGE one at the local authorized deal is a whopping $99.99. A generic "baking" stone for baking or pizzas is $40 at Sur La Table and a third generic 15" stone at the local restaurant supply shop for $16.

Having never owned a pizza stone before, is there any value to the more expensive BGE one, or should I just snag the cheapest appropriate sized stone for my egg?

i've been quite happy with my red sky stone. specifically made for grills. others have cracked.

Well if you have a place around there go with Cordierite Kiln Shelves there good to over 2100 degrees I have two for my bubbas there 5/8" thick.
Tfhey wont crack as easy take all the heat you can give it.
Heres one place to look but the shipping and handling doubles the price so see what you can find around there.
http://www.axner.com/cordierite-kiln-shelves.aspx

I would stay away from stones not designed for the grill. There are many folks who have had them crack or even explode when used in the grill.

http://nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm

I'm very happy with my BGE stone and I have heard good things about the Red Sky stone. The suggestion of kiln shelves sounds interesting as well.

I too was looking for a "good Pizza stone " My wife when she was out picked up the 16.00 one not really knowing there are different ones.
When I opened it I thought it was gonna break one the first use ... I have had it for 2 years nows and it works good !1 .. When this one does break Ill look at the nicer ones ... But thought Id chime in on my expererience with a cheaper cost model.

DSC01576_zps5adcd269.jpg

So I've been looking for a pizza stone for my BGE. The official BGE one at the local authorized deal is a whopping $99.99. A generic "baking" stone for baking or pizzas is $40 at Sur La Table and a third generic 15" stone at the local restaurant supply shop for $16.

Having never owned a pizza stone before, is there any value to the more expensive BGE one, or should I just snag the cheapest appropriate sized stone for my egg?
I have been using a slab of granite that is 4cm thick for years. I had a piece left over from a counter top install. I cut it to fit my oven and use the un-polished side for pizza. It has served me well for pizza, breads, and pastries too! Most granite shops have a scrap that they will cut and fit for you. Tell them what you want it for, mine is "Absolute Black" granite. Very hard and dense (like my head). All the ones I have purchase have cracked after only a couple of uses! Hope this helps!
Jed

I too was looking for a "good Pizza stone " My wife when she was out picked up the 16.00 one not really knowing there are different ones.
When I opened it I thought it was gonna break one the first use ... I have had it for 2 years nows and it works good !1 .. When this one does break Ill look at the nicer ones ... But thought Id chime in on my expererience with a cheaper cost model.

DSC01576_zps5adcd269.jpg
Great set-up!

I have a kiln shelf too...it is so far indestructible, and used it in my BSK for a year or two now. I also bought the half-round for direct/indirect grilling!

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, in general, don't kiln shelves have insulating properties and are not meant to absorb and retain heat which is quite the opposite of what pizza stones do?

I ordered a !#" and a 16" stone from Ceramic Grill Store. Prices are reasonable but shipping is significant because of the weight. The smaller stone is my heat deflector and has survived 900° + cleaning burns.

So I've been looking for a pizza stone for my BGE. The official BGE one at the local authorized deal is a whopping $99.99.
Yikes :shocked:, I sell them for $52.99. Sounds a bit high to me. That being said, I've had a BGE baking stone for 5 years without a problem. I did start off with an inexpensive one, but it cracked in half after 2 uses.

I bought mine for $7.49 at Home Depot- a sandstone patio block! I had horrible luck with store bought pizza stones, all of them cracked just using in an oven! The sandstone is relatively flat, thick as hell, natural and really hold heat. Simply put, it kicks ass. You might have to cut it to size though to fit an egg as they're rectangular.

I'm in the "buy once" camp. I researched stones for a year, and read consumer comments until my eyes were ready to fall out of my head. Repeated complaints of stones cracking. Some brands more than others, but I decided I'd rather pay a little more, and do this thing one time. Great reviews on Amazon, as well as some of the folks here. I've been very happy with the results. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E2V3X/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Lodge Pro-Logic P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I'm in the "buy once" camp. I researched stones for a year, and read consumer comments until my eyes were ready to fall out of my head. Repeated complaints of stones cracking. Some brands more than others, but I decided I'd rather pay a little more, and do this thing one time. Great reviews on Amazon, as well as some of the folks here. I've been very happy with the results. Amazon.com: Lodge Pro-Logic P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch: Kitchen & Dining

This!

I bought the same one, paid less at Wally world. But yeah, just buy once, dont worry about it cracking. And you could use it for other cooks, fajitas, pancakes etc.

$99 seems expensive. I got my xl stone from a BGE store for $75. Definitely worth it.

I'm in the "buy once" camp. I researched stones for a year, and read consumer comments until my eyes were ready to fall out of my head. Repeated complaints of stones cracking. Some brands more than others, but I decided I'd rather pay a little more, and do this thing one time. Great reviews on Amazon, as well as some of the folks here. I've been very happy with the results. Amazon.com: Lodge Pro-Logic P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch: Kitchen & Dining

agreed. word on the street is that's a good stone. :thumb:

I have one from the ceramic grill store Worked great as a heat deflector until I dropped t Had to get another from the same place

DSC01576_zps5adcd269.jpg

That looks exactly like my set up: firebricks under the stone. I too bought a cheap stone expecting it to break quickly, but it's been going 3 years now.

Back