That fat on Strip steaks...

Aceman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Why? The fat strip on the top of them- does anyone eat that? It's a shame that you pay $9lb and are charged for that in my book. Anyone use it or eat it for any reason?

I trim it and render it in a cast iron use the rendered fat to roast veggies or to sear your steak in said cast iron. Beef fat has a high smoke point.

I char the fat and yes, I do eat the fat, but not the gristle, it's has great flavor. Also like the others said, render it out for roasting vegetables, ti add great flavor.

Heck yeah I eat it. I grill steaks as normal, then flip on the edge and crisp that up for a few minutes. It's really tasty. I started doing this after I had a kitchen-side seat at one of our local restaurants and saw them do that on their char-griller. Been doing it ever since.

Whenever you purchase raw food, meat or vegetable, there is waste. If they trimmed it off, you would pay more for the food. Corn husks, cabbage cores, silver skin and fat on meat, it's just part of the game. You do have the option to choose the meat with the least fat, or to shop elsewhere,

Back