It's my turn...

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love all the posts from folks with new smokers, but I was feeling left out :-D

So I did something about it.

Actually, I did something about it in November, but I had to wait until today to see it.

Back in November I saw a post on Facebook that Scott Smith of Quein', Stewin' and Brewin' competition BBQ team and owner of Southern Q Smokers had donated one of his smokers to the Georgia BBQ Competition for a fund raiser, and GBC was auctioning off the smoker. I've been looking at Southern Q smokers and a couple of others for a while but hadn't done anything. This seemed like a good opportunity to help out the GBC and gat a new toy, so I bid, and eventually won!

In talking to Scott I found out that he was going to be holding a competition BBQ class at the end of January so I made arrangements to attend the class and pick up the smoker at the same time.

Fast forward to now. I left home yesterday morning towing a 6x12 cargo trailer that I borrowed from Brother Teebody (Thanks!) and headed for Acworth, GA (NW of Atlanta a bit) 13 hours later, after a stop for lunch with friends on Rockville, IN and a couple of gas/potty breaks I made it to the hotel in Acworth.

When I got to Scott's shop this morning he asked me if I saw my smoker yet. We went into his shop and it was siting at the back of the classroom setup.

16380509866_7b735d0856_c.jpg

15784013374_ee1be30e96_c.jpg

16219081270_9978867e05_c.jpg

15784013284_e4674337cf_c.jpg

After winning the auction I also contacted Dale Wilson of Pirate 50 custom Artwork and Trophies. Dale does amazing work with 3D logo signs and trophies. I asked him to make a sign from our logo that could be mounted on the smoker. Dale dropped the sign off with Scott earlier this week and Scott mounted it for me...

15784013434_519e823b46_c.jpg

:thumb:

The class continues tomorrow and then I am loading up my new toy and heading home. The central midwest is expecting 8-12" of snow tomorrow night and Sunday, so I will probably drive part way tomorrow evening, and then get as far as I can on Sunday and then find a place to wait out the snow.

I plan on seasoning the smoker during the week and doing the first cook next weekend!

Oh hell ya.

Looks like a great cooker.

A win win for everyone, congratulations Ron. She's a beauty.

The Limos are very nice smokers you will enjoy it indeed. I was very close in getting one myself before we decided to get a diffrent brand. I can say Scott is a super nice guy each time we talked you can tell he really enjoys his job. Please keep us posted on your opinion on how it cooks.

I also understand seeing all these new smoker pics I have 3 more week from today before we pic up our new pit and trailer.

Awesome!!! Cool thread and enjoy your new toy Cpt.

I love it when cool things happen to cool folks - congrats!

Awesome looking rig! So, I'm gonna ask a silly question but I truly don't know. What's Captain Ron's Brew and Q? Do you own a BBQ restaurant?

Great new toy. She's a BEAST! Be careful getting her home...

That looks like a piece of art.
Well deserved mate

Great looking cooker! Drive safe and post some pics when you get home.

Back