Hog killing time

jham0077

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
One of my customers told me during harvest he would let me know when they slaughtered hogs so I could get in on it. He called me Monday saying it was gonna happen this weekend. Said we would kill and hang today, process Saturday.

5DJNrVE.jpg

One of them(two halves) is mine. He said $200, + my labor of helping with the other 2, is all its gonna cost me.:biggrin1:

Some good lookin' meat. I like skinning them too, goes a lot faster!

As a teenager, I used to help my grandfather kill hogs. That night Grandma used to cook a tenderloin and homemade biscuits. Man, that was some good eating and now some fond memories!

The skin is great, but most of the time we end up skinning to avoid all the work involved with scalding and scraping.

Good deal! I remember my grandfather doing that when I was a kid. It's a skill I wished I had learned and still do. I'm glad it is slowly coming back. More people need to know where their food comes from. It's been a few years since I saw the pig my bacon came from :biggrin1:

Good deal! I remember my grandfather doing that when I was a kid. It's a skill I wished I had learned and still do. I'm glad it is slowly coming back. More people need to know where their food comes from. It's been a few years since I saw the pig my bacon came from :biggrin1:

Doesn't it come from the grocery store?:confused:

Ah ya. I loved butchering time.

Gonna get any scrapple or lard?

great deal in my book. my uncle used to call me to help him clean the deer he would kill and give me half the meat.

Ah ya. I loved butchering time.

Gonna get any scrapple or lard?

Nah, just the normal cuts. I'm not sure what to think about scrapple. Did get the hearts and tongues though.

So we started processing this morning about 8:30. I was first there so we started on mine, did the other 2 and killed/hung a cow in about 6 1/2 hours. There were 3 of us trimming, 2 on the bandsaw, and 3 wrapping and labeling. Once the sawing was done, the 2 started stuffing brats and bulk sausage into bags. He had cure for the bacon and ham steaks. Said they would set a week. We'll smoke everything next Saturday in his smoker with my apple wood. Give the bacon a day and slice it Sunday. Needless to say, I'm tired.

I thought I was gonna get away with about $2#. The guy the hogs came from was this guy's BIL and also another customer of mine from the elevator. He gave me the hog and said thanks for doing what I do. So all it cost me was labor:clap2:

Sorry for lack of pics, my hands were greasy most of the day and I probably couldn't have held the phone if I wanted to.

Back