help with brisket point, not just for burnt ends

dadyk00l33

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some help please. I'm still new to smoking and to this site but have successfully cooked some baby backs, St. Louis, and a couple whole chickens and now want to try some brisket. However, I am only going to start with the point. I don't really like the lean stuff, don't have enough ppl to cook a whole brisket for, and have heard that the point is just plain easier to start with due to more fat and larger margin for error? The thing is, every time I search for suggestions on just cooking the point, all everyone talks about is burnt ends. I would like some of those too but I was able to get a 6lb point, so that would be a lot of ends, i'd like some of it to be sliced like a flat would be. I assume since all of you are pretty advanced and creative, someone on hear has done it this way? Please, any advice on cooking will be helpful.

Thanks in advance

hehe, sorry.

I would rub it with a simple rub, equal parts salt and pepper are fine, or you can get fancy and add in granulated garlic and granulated onion. All by weight, a good rub would look like this:

3 parts medium grind black pepper
3 parts Kosher salt
1/2 part each granulated garlic and granulated onion

Rub that point up with a nice coating. Fire up your cooker to your desired temperature, mine is around 280°F to 300°F. Then cook the point until it is tender. Now, here is the tricky part, with a point, the probe trick doesn't work as well. It gets soft to the probe far before it is really done. If you have point with the flat still under it, you can probe the flat portion, and when the probe slides in with almost no resistance, you are done.

However, if you are dealing with just the point, you will need to feel it, the probe will slide in easily, but, when you squeeze the meat, you will feel the meat slide. This is called the 'slip point' and represents when the fat and connective tissue have rendered fully. The meat jiggles, and when you squeeze it, you can feel the meat slide against itself. Pull and rest.

You should be able to slice it after it cools to 145°F or so. I prefer a long rest of at least an hour, wrapped in foil. Others go shorter, on the counter.

Thanks land,
That was very helpful. So I can plan my cook for Superbowl, would you say the timing is still about the same, like 1 to 1.5 hours per pound? I'll give myself time to rest and a buffer but still need a guideline.

Man, if I could buy just points all the time...I'm telling you that would be at least 8 of 10 brisket purchases for me. It's so rare that someone enjoys the lean more than the point when I serve it.

How did you score that? Grocery store I guess?

I've always done whole packers so the point always took care of itself when the flat probed tender. Thanks landarc !

it will probably take just as long as a full packer would, just because its smaller doesnt necessarily cut down on the cook time very much, in my experience anyway

Ya josal, if you have HEB plus up there they should do it. I can't tell you about the quality until Sunday but since they sell just flats they didn't have any problem cutting up a whole packer and repackaging the flat.

it will probably take just as long as a full packer would, just because its smaller doesnt necessarily cut down on the cook time very much, in my experience anyway

Yes, I noticed this too on several occasions. The last point was around 6lbs and took a good 12 hours (low and slow) to cook just right on the tenderness. I must say it was amazing!

Yup, about an hour per pound at higher temps, if you are around 225ish, then 1.5 to 1.75 hours.

Yup. Landarc's on it.

Wait.....did I really just say that?! :boxing:

Back