Happy accidents.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was making tacos last night, by accident I grabbed the ground cinnamon instead of the ground cumin, and applied liberally before I smelled it coming off the hot meat. I did not tell anyone about it, and they never said a word, all went back for 2nds and 3rds. I did taste the cinnamon, but did not find it off putting even though I knew what I had done. The worst part is I never found the cumin but it turned out good.

The not so happy, I remember one time when I was young, as a cook I had never worked breakfast/lunch shift. The first day we had a lot of cooked bacon leftover from a BLT special the day before, I wanted to save the owner some money, so I decided to chop it up and add it to the biscuit and sausage gravy, a mortal sine I learned very quickly, thought I was going to be tared and feathered, and run out of town on a rail, the only thing saving me from being fired, was being married to the owners daughter. I have recently noticed rolls of sausage with both bacon and sausage, guess I was a visionary back then.:tsk:

So I am guessing I am not the only one here that has done the unspeakable even if by accident, good or bad what is yours?
Dave

Cinnamon is under used on meats in the West because we associate it with sweet (cinnamon rolls).

One of my favorite rubs has cinnamon in it. I use it on any pork.

Pumpkin pie spice rub

2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
OR
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
AND
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs brown sugar
1/4 tbs kosher salt

Cinnamon is the spice that gives tandoori chicken it's authentic tandoor flavor. Learned this in India when out there a few years ago

A lot of the american associate Cinnamon with sweet flavors because it pairs with sugar so well. However it is a great savory spice that a lot of cuisines use in dishes that are not sweet.

I love using cinnamon in savory dishes as it gives a lot of people the "i'm not sure what that taste is, but it is really good" type of flavor.

When my Wife's Grandmother was getting on in years and a bit dotty, she forced her 7 year old grandson over crying and complaining to finish his mashed potatoes only to discover she was feeding him Horseradish! Poor little devil.

This is not uncommon outside the US. In addition to the cinnamon, I enjoy raisins added as well.

I have used cinnamon in chili, and I have put raisins, or even chopped dates in a chili that was just a little over spiced, giving it a very harsh taste, the raisins, or dates smoothed it out and did the trick.
Dave

I once put cinnamon on tilapia, just because I was curious. Never again. Never again.

I am literally laughing at this. I need that after this week. It reminded me of a comedy I watched a long time ago.

I remember one time when I was young, as a cook I had never worked breakfast/lunch shift. The first day we had a lot of cooked bacon leftover from a BLT special the day before, I wanted to save the owner some money, so I decided to chop it up and add it to the biscuit and sausage gravy, a mortal sine I learned very quickly, thought I was going to be tared and feathered, and run out of town on a rail, the only thing saving me from being fired, was being married to the owners daughter. I have recently noticed rolls of sausage with both bacon and sausage, guess I was a visionary back then.:tsk:

So I am guessing I am not the only one here that has done the unspeakable even if by accident, good or bad what is yours?
Dave

I have never added bacon itself, but may give it a try. I have always used bacon grease to make the roux because my homemade sausage has no visible grease. So my next batch (tomorrow), I'll crumble some bacon into it. Thanks for the idea....!

Back