• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Air intake

Parm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
With a RF offset smoker I'm planning to use a tank that's 14" diamter as the fire box, it can be as long as required.

Should the air in let be at the end of the tank and should it be at the same height of the burn area or below.

Also is it better to have the fire box arranged horizontally or stood upright

Reason I ask is these are the only materials I have for fire box

As far as size check out the feldons smoker calculator online. I would place it horizontal. It will also tell you the size of intake to cut. I would place it on the end and have it about 50/50 on the height of the fire. Stickburners like to get air flowing through the bottom of the fire as well as across it.

Top man, most helpful. Also answers the horizontal or vertical issue.

On Saturday morning the games can commence with the construction of my newest toy

Nice one, I got that.

When you say stick burner, I take it you mean something that burns wood?

:)))))

What a great site full of friendly people. Ive always wanted a smoker after watching man v food. Now that will happen as I've got a load of material and parts, bit of imagination and lots of help from here.

Don't laugh though as mine won't be a pull along jobbie on a pickup

There are a ton of home built smokers, and grills here and You will be amazed at the awesome quality they have.

Check out any and all pictures of A Shirley Fabrication and you will get some great ideas

There are a ton of home built smokers, and grills here and You will be amazed at the awesome quality they have.

Check out any and all pictures of A Shirley Fabrication and you will get some great ideas

That's just awesome, we ain't got anything like that here, not even any good BBQ restaurants.

I have just sorted the design of my fire box, intake and dampers :)

Watch this space for a build thread comming up soon :)

Ok last question of the night, should the chimney start in the cook chamber, say close to the cook grate and then exit out. My research suggests this will,allow even circulation of smoke and prevent it from just blowing out of the top

Yep, it will help kep the air / smoke moving with out going stale also

Back