first comp chicken today Pron

mgp03051

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I did my first run of comp chicken today On my uds 1.5hrs 225 to 250 up to 325 to set the sauce pulled at 180 was very juicy bite threw skin on most got kind of lazy scraping the last few and could really tell the difference. atleast now I know whats right! I think my sauce was to thick or my brush too stiff when i sauced then the rub moved around hence the dark spots.any input on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
my chicken blows but. I think the char marks may be scored down, it doesnt look burnt to me just that the color is "splotchie". If I was gonna eat it at home , thats the way I would want it to look.

if i were at home, i would eat it all day:-D but for comp i would work on even color without the dark spots, keep up the good work :thumb:

^^^^ what he said :-D

The trimming looks good, and the color would probably be OK without the dark botches.

Try using a spoon to poor your sauce on the chicken, then let the heat spread it across the top, that was your rub stays in one place.

I agree, if I were making it at home, that plate would never make it inside...

Trimming looks good. On the second picture, it looks like the skin didn't cover all of a couple of the thighs. The color needs to be more even (even though you owe me for a new keyboard due to drolling).

Try using a slightly thinner sauce and dip them, then put them back on the cooker to set the sauce.

Overall, you done did good!

Judges are nuts. That looks like great grilled/bbq'd chicken. Not some bland monochromatic squares of meat which judges apparently prefer. And what is it about
no grill marks.

There is nothing wrong with grill marks. Not trying to pick on mgp03051, but those aren't grill marks. If they were grill marks I don't think any one would comment.

Also, remember to take out the toothpicks!!! Thin the sauce out with some apple juice and mix it real good so you don't get the lumpy look. There is a reason that there is an "appearance score", try to max it out. Just my .02

I'd be OK with turning in something that looked like that (minus the toothpicks). Looks mouthwatering to me. Slightly lighter on the sauce setting color might be score a little better app wise.

FWIW, the perfect 180 point chicken I saw at Big Creek was a perfect, unblemished mahogany.

MGP, I'd eat your chicken all day, all night, and all week, but I'm just sayin'...

thank for the kudo's and the great advise ill try it again soon and post more pics

Back