No, Mine is Bigger!

93vpmod

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was reading a thread and a new member posted about an upcoming event that she wanted to convince her husband to cook for 100 people.

Made me wonder what some of the individual numbers here would post for their largest cook...

For me, I typically cook for 5-6 on a daily/weekly basis. However, my biggest cook was pulled pork and brisket for 40-45 for a family friend...It was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be, though I was a bit nervous at the time.

While bigger isn't always better, I'm sure there will be some interesting posts.

One buddy and I used to cook regularly for church groups of 150 to 350. This would be on a basis of a couple of times a month.
With help, I have cooked for~500 from time to time.
No more though. Biggest one recently was about 80 [for my son's wedding reception].
It too was a backyard deal.

I've never done a large cook by myself. I prefer to rely on teams. I learned this from the old church BBQ events we did. 1500 chicken halves, they really go better with a team. Does cooking up 200 servings of yakisoba count?

Heck, maybe the largest solo cook I have done in the past 5 years was for around 25 people.

Then again, there was the cook Smokejumper and I did, where we did 15 racks of ribs, 2 tri-tips, 6 sausages and a gallon of beans, and there were 6 people at the table.

Does cooking up 200 servings of yakisoba count?

Sure, it counts...if you'll recall a few yrs back, I had a bit of trouble with the yakisoba, some shrimp and a metallic taste...haha! I need to try that one again, it was good but...

What is going on here- 7th grade gym class flashbacks?????

Probably 30-50. Only 1 or 2 times.

I keep it simple. I don't do sides. Did 8 briskets and a ton of sausage once for a family that owns a chain of Mexican restaurants. I think there were over 100 people there. I used to cook 2-3 at a time for the UT Honeys group when my daughter was still in school so 8 briskets was a big step up for me. Probably will never do that many again.

Excluding the restaurant where I cook daily and just cooking by myself I've cooked for friends wedding receptions which was anywhere from 75-100. Both were pretty laid back with a few meats and 2-3 sides at most. But with the experience in the restaurant I'd be interested to see how many I could handle on my own :-D.

Twice for my family reunion 35 to 40, did brisket, ribs and pork! Probably doesn't count since it was family but did get great reviews the first year and they asked for me to repeat for the next year.

Rick!!

Twice for my family reunion 35 to 40, did brisket, ribs and pork! Probably doesn't count since it was family but did get great reviews the first year and they asked for me to repeat for the next year.

Rick!!
Sure it counts. People are people.

I cooked for a fundraiser at our kids elementary school. I forget the details, but I know that I cooked enough for nearly 400 people. A bunch of pulled pork and 40 or so racks of ribs. The ole Shirley never looked better

25-30 people once, surprisingly it really wasn't that difficult. I can't imagine the logistics of cooking for hundreds of people as some of you have done.

Once a year I cook for about 200 people, not to tough, but takes some of the fun out of it. About 5 or 6 time a year I cook for 40 -50 people, more enjoyable crowd. I met a guy recently that has cooked for 1800, there is no way I would want to try that!

Have done a few graduations for friends/family. Between 100-350 people. Usually do pulled pork with multiple homemade sauces. I try to only do the meat and let someone else worry about the sides. The people I typically do these for don't mind some leftovers so usually do a few extra butts in case the estimated # of people changes. Built my last reverse flow offset specifically for doing these types of events. The largest load in that cooker so far has been 36 pork butts in the 7-9lb range. Worked like a champ!! I honestly don't know if I could do more than 300-350 people turnout with myself and maybe 1 helper. Great experiences no matter what the group size.

As part of a team, I've helped charity cooks for ~500 once a year. Whole hog, pulled pork, pit beef, mac n cheese, salad, green beans, jambalaya, chili, sweet potato bread pudding, hot dogs...it's a lot of fun!

BTW: anyone near Ellicott City, MD on May 9 that's interested in sampling some of the above goodies are welcome to attend. It's the Fourth Annual Bull Pork Roast for Friends of Boy Scout Troop 615. :wink:

Individually, I think the most I've cooked for was pulled pork for ~60. I just did the pulled pork for a family reunion...other folks brought sides, desserts, salads.

Bruce

Back