Enchiladas and Potatoes a La Perla

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A little while back, we had the thread asking us to remember about cooking with our family members, and it gave me reason to recall the restaurant La Perla, a "Mexican" restaurant, that for all of my life, existed in one of the worst neighborhoods in our area. It was also, for many years, my dad's one and only Mexican restaurant we would eat at.

The food was not what most of us know as authentic, it was a greasy spoon of a Mexican place, founded by a man who mustered out of the Navy from his home in Mexico by way of Texas. The food was his interpretation, and it lasted from 1947 until 2014. It was an institution in Richmond, California. And why did we only go there? The family has several daughters, too many to support with the one restaurant. So, the man, his wife, mother and eldest daughter worked there, and his two middle daughters found work, with us. From 1954 to 1967, they worked for my dad, and loved him. They hated my uncle, but, loved my dad, and when they left, he would bring us to their place to eat. Stuff like this.

enchilada_zps52b359e8.jpg

Ground beef enchiladas and fried potatoes. There are people all over Richmond, who wish they knew hot to make these, my dad learned how and at least I can have this to eat. The secret turns out to be very simple, they are seasoned with Mexican chorizo. Very simple good, that built an entire families good fortune.

Great story to go along with some killer comfort food, I used to stop at this little place off I-40 in E Az that did their taters just like that. I'd bet I know now where the idea came from......

another La Perla story...on the origin of potatoes...

I must have been around 6 or 7, as that is when I became incredibly opinionated and arrogantly stupid. We had gone to La Perla as a family, I can remember this, as I can recall the utter horror on my mom's face when I noted with surprise "wow, they really cook potatoes well, where do you suppose Mexicans learned to cook potatoes this well?" The owner came out of the back, he looked at his daughter, who muttered something, I assume it meant "he is the slow child", then my dad said something, which I can only assume meant "yes, that is my assh*** child, he is slow in the head". The man leaned over and smiled and said "Roberto, you saying that is like my walking into a Japanese home and saying 'wow, you know how to cook rice!' for you see, my ancestors discovered the potato and have been cooking it for far longer than there has been a Mexico" then he laughed and said "you will learn, potatoes, tomatoes and chiles, they are our foods".

Snatching pebbles at a young age !!

While you say simple, I'm sure it is simply delicious.

If we were only as wise as we thought we were at a young age...great stories.

That's an amazing looking meal, Bob, and some great stories. Your dad must have been one great guy to get the recipe from them. Love this!

That is one plate of food I plan on replicating to the best of my ability. The wife doesn't think that she likes chorizo but I know how much she loves fried potatoes and I bet she'll happily be blind to the chorizo mixed in. Thanks for sharing the history and the idea!

Sidenote: Not usually up this early but got up to start a pair of butts on the King Kettle. Will post pics later!

Looks delicious.

I am sure it looks delicious, as anything from Landarc looks and I am sure tastes good as well. However, when this first posted, I could see no picture? Still see no picture? Not sure why, as most pron shows up on my computer. All I see is a space between paragraphs. Lovely space, but blank spaces don't have a lot of action or appeal! What am I doing wrong? Do I have some setting wrong on my 'puter?

Omar

I am sure it looks delicious, as anything from Landarc looks and I am sure tastes good as well. However, when this first posted, I could see no picture? Still see no picture? Not sure why, as most pron shows up on my computer. All I see is a space between paragraphs. Lovely space, but blank spaces don't have a lot of action or appeal! What am I doing wrong? Do I have some setting wrong on my 'puter?

Omar

I have the same problem on this thread and occasionally on others. any ideas?

Back